Thread: Proper Network Detection/Configuration

googull Guest

Default Proper Network Detection/Configuration

I have struggled with this for years - feeling like I need to resolve my trusted vs internet settings.

My config should not be that unusual - 3 PCs all connected to a switch that uplinks to a DHCP enabled router that also has a DSL modem cabled to it. All 3 PCs share the same internet connection but there is no ICS application running on any PC.

When I install ZoneAlarm it detects one network: 192.168.2.0 as a trusted network. My router's IP is 192.168.2.1. ZoneAlarm never discovers another "network" that I can attribute as the "internet" so I change the only network it does find to "internet". The result though is crippled connections with my LAN.

I get the sense that I need to add some settings manually but not sure quite what to add to get proper insulation from the internet with openness on my trusted LAN.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Proper Network Detection/Configuration

HI!simply set your network at trusted and you will be able to share resources and printers (if any) without problems...The address 192.168.2.0/255... etc its reserved and only internal. Cannot be accessed outside.You only need to ensure the router is setup properly. i.e. change the default password and if on wireless use WPA/WPA2 encryption.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

googull Guest

Because I do access via the router, shouldn't there be some address identified as the "internet"? Or are you saying that the router takes care of blocking internet intrusions and the ZoneAlarm firewall does not?

The router is doing all the grunt work. But ZoneAlarm is also doing some work. The router protects you from inbound threats, ZA is protecting you from anything that gets thru, and if you just happen to get infected, it will stop things from going out. This will help keep your computer from being a spam zombie, part of a DDOS and other nepharious attacks.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information