Thread: Cisco Systems VPN Client is trying to replace or set a value in the registry

kevin_login Guest

Default Cisco Systems VPN Client is trying to replace or set a value in the registry

Hi,I keep seeing the system tray icon which represents:
    "ZoneAlarm security software has blocked a communication, but your settings
    prevent a full-sized alert from being shown.". (I know I altered
    alert setting trying to
    lessen the annoyance of the repeated messages about a non-problem. When I browse the alerts,
    OS Firewall type, in the log, I see the message
    "Cisco Systems VPN Client is trying to replace or set a value in the registry". I have searched this ZA Forums site and see many hits about
    Cisco VPN
    not working , etc etc. Mine works fine with ZAPro 7.0.408.000 (knock on wood) and Cisco VPN v4.0.2A. This message is logged hundreds of times an hour. I tried turning off OSFirewall protection, no more messages, problem solved. I don't really want to do that, as it neuters the benefit of the firewall, however the overhead of recursive logging of invalid errors is a concern also.
    What causes the conflict, or why the error message?
    I saw where one of the "gurus"
    posted something about
    ZAPro and Cisco having a conflict over a common file, or something to that affect? What I'm seeing in the alert log is a registry key conflict, specifically with
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\ZAMAILSAFE\DEFAULTICON. Why?
    I have seen many suggested "solutions" of different variations,
    de-install-to-re-install, etc, etc
    with some reporting NO change in outcome. Turning off the OSF seems to be an
    alternative, but
    if I need to resort to
    that,
    it diminshes the benefit of the firewall.
    What's the correct solution?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Cisco Systems VPN Client is trying to replace or set a value in the registry

As a place to start, did you reinstall the VPN AFTER you installed ZA?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

kevin_login Guest

Default Re: Cisco Systems VPN Client is trying to replace or set a value in the registry

No offense, but why is this necessary? What about the registry key conflict, specifically with
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\ZAMAILSAFE\DEFAULTICON. Why?

zaswing Guest

kevin-login,I'm not 100% sure what the question is, so I can only give you more detail why I think Hoov asked you what he didZone Labs installation instructions state that it is necessary to uninstall VPN, install ZA, install VPN, because Cisco needs to pick up or fit into
    the ZA drivers or some other such details. Here is the linkhttp://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...n_install.htmlLong ago, I've ran VPN with ZA suite running and those instructions were correct for Nortell Networks VPN as well as Cisco.
    Hello Hoov, it's great to see you back here

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 09-28-2007 05:25 PM

Howdy zasuiteuser !You got it. There is a driver that both the Cisco VPN client and ZA uses. So for the VPN client to work properly it has to be installed again AFTER ZA is installed. This is to prevent confusion.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

tradehound Guest

I have WinXP Media Center w/SP2.
    I re-installed my ZASS because it kept finding a "New Network" every time I re-booted.
    It now retains the network settings but now I am getting the same problem as kevin-login stated above:
    A popup ZA Security Alert says "Cisco Systems VPN was prevented from changing registry..."
    I have re-installed Cisco VPN client even though I didn't do that before all this and it worked fine.
    Before I re-installed ZASS I would never get that ZA pop-up alert, nor the little blinking "System Tray Icon alert".
    Now I either get the pop-up alert all the time or if I turn off "Alert Events Shown" then I get the little blinking icon.
    I think I should allow Cisco VPN client to change the registry but even if I change it in Program Control to have Super Trust level and allow everything,
    ZA STILL blocks it.
    How can I tell ZA to not block it?

Thread Information