Thread: Performance problems after upgrading ZoneAlarm free to ZoneAlarm security suite

fafhrd Guest

Default Performance problems after upgrading ZoneAlarm free to ZoneAlarm security suite

I was using ZoneAlarm free with another antivirus and a third antispyware program, and thought I'd had a go at reducing this by upgrading to ZoneAlarm security suite.After having purchased and installed it my computer has become almost unbearably slow.
    Prior to installation the computer was fast, access to files was smooth, and when idle the computer would use between 0-4% CPU.After installation the computer is "laggy", access to files takes forever and when idle the computer typically uses between 10-50% CPU but sometimes peaks up to 80% CPU usage, doing nothing at all except running the "ScanningProcess.exe" processes (2).
    After disabling the antivirus completely the problem seems at least a bit reduced, but that means I have to go back to my old antivirus which I was hoping not to have to.What can I do to solve this ? Why is antivirus consuming all the resources of the computer ?
    Some techie version things:Windows XP, all servicepacks and patchesZoneAlarm, 7.0.408.000, (no newer updates available according to ZA updater)Processor, umm... Pentium 4 I think, at least there are 2 of them with 3GHz speeds... :-)Memory, 1 GB

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

bannor Guest

Default Re: Performance problems after upgrading ZoneAlarm free to ZoneAlarm security suite

Fafhrd
    I am not a Guru, but I'm sure that the first question they would ask you is, "Did you COMPLETELY uninstall ALL of your previous antivirus and antispyware products?" Especially the antivirus. The second question would probably be, "Do / did
    you have any other firewall installed?"
    If your answer to the first question is anything other than a clear YES, and your answer to the second question is not a clear NO, then the first thing they would suggest is for you to COMPLETELY uninstall ZAISS, as well as ALL antivirus, antispyware and firewalls. Detailed instructions may be found on this forum, and it is highly recommended that you search for and use them.
    Then reinstall ZAISS and see if the problem still persists. If it does, post back here and maybe one of the Gurus around here will give you further suggestions.
    Good luck!
    Bannor

fafhrd Guest

Default Re: Performance problems after upgrading ZoneAlarm free to ZoneAlarm security suite

Thanks but well yes I did uninstall completely and to the firewall yes and no, there was the ZoneAlarm free version but no other FW, though I did uninstall ZA free too so the answer would still be yes. About antispyware I only used Ad-Aware free which is not resident in any way and it was uninstalled too.
    Have tried reinstallation of ZASS with no success, but have gotten an answer from ZA support to try disabling all other software that runs on the computer except ZA and see if it works better. It's quite a lot of stuff and I'm still considering whether it is really worth the trouble and if I just should keep running with ZA antivirus disabled instead, the product doesn't feel too trustworthy to mee if I have to disable all my software to try to run it.

Message Edited by fafhrd on 10-06-2007 07:30 AM

kpilgreen Guest

fafhrd, I had the same problem except I moved from ZA Pro to ZA SS. My computer slowed to a crawl and I have a Cable connection with 7.5m download. I had to eventually uninstall ZA all together until kinks are worked out.

cathudog Guest

I have the same problem with Vista and clean install of the ZASS I lose connectivity and sometimes I get error messages that I cannot open IE or even FF not sure what I am going to do yet with the install.Really makes you think your system is really screwed up that for sure.

Thread Information