Thread: new router - "zones" question

mikezonealarm Guest

Default new router - "zones" question

When I set up my new Linksys BEFSR41 wired router with the Linksys setup CD, near the end of completing the steps, the Zone Alarm Pro popup for found a new network came up, so I said to add it to the trusted zone.
    Was that the correct thing to do?
    What was it actually adding (my computer, which is now behind the firewall, the router itself, ??)

Thanks,

Mike

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: new router - "zones" question

Dear mikezonealarm:

That should be OK. Check your computer's assigned IP address using ipconfig /all from a command line prompt. If it is something like 192.168.x.x, then your router is providing private IP addresses(not routable on the Internet) to your computer using DHCP. Your router provides network address translation(NAT), converting the private IP address into a public one. Your router provides stateful packet inspection(SPI) blocking unsolicited inbound traffic. Anyone on the Internet should not be able to see your computer's IP address. When you go to a site like www.grc.com, Shields Up page, it will show your public IP address, not the private one that is dynamically assigned to your computer.

In answer to your question, ZAPRO was adding your network, which includes the router and computer, to the Trusted zone.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

mikezonealarm Guest

OK, thanks... so the router is considered part of the network itself then.

Can you help with this?
    I can't do the ipconfig check because when I use "ipconfig /all",
    the little black DOS screen shows up for a second and then disappears so I can't read it.
    Is there a way to slow it down?
    Mike

Try first to type in command in the Run and OK. That may work.
    If not then, then right click the Command (found under the Accessories of the All Programs or right click the cmd.exe found in the WINDOWS\system32) and open the Properties and open the Options Tab and uncheck the Quick Edit mode and check the Insert mode. Then Apply and OK. Reboot and then try it again.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-17-2007 11:18 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

watcher Guest

Dear mikezonealarm:

Yes, all PC nodes, servers, connectivity devices such as routers, switches, hubs, bridges, hardware firewalls, NIDS, NIPS, UTM appliance, etc., and the cable plant, are considered part of the network.

Oldsod has already answered your 2nd question.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information