Thread: Slow Computer

jodxyz Guest

Default Slow Computer

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite loaded. Recently, I have seen a severe degradation in performance not only in time to start applications, but also after a restart. If I run a speed test with ZA active, it gives me a value of around 300 kbps. With ZA disabled, only briefly, I get a test speed of 6300 kbps. Not at all what I expected. I have performed a number of scans looking for malware (ZA, PANDA, SpySweeper, etc.) and none find any malware. Any idea what the problem is. I had previously downloaded MyUninstall and when I recently went to uninstall a program, it showed a number of Symantic items still listed there, even though supposedly Norton had been removed prior to installing ZA. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zebrajeb Guest

Default Re: Slow Computer

ME TOO!
    That is why I'm checking these forums.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    John

cyberstorm_five Guest

Default Re: Slow Computer

More information needed, Please be more specific. OS, Processor, RAM (Speed, and type), do you defrag? any other maintenance performed? Have you cleaned the registry after uninstalling Norton products. I myself had a **bleep** of a time the first time I removed norton products, although ZASS is far superior in my eyes, for resources and for indentification and removal of malware. You will need to make sure you TOTALLY remove ALL traces of norton, and make sure you clean the registry using a tool like registry bot, or registry mechanic. Also make sure all the norton services have been removed properly. Good luck and I'll keep checking here for updates from you both.

Here is a link to the Norton Removal tool which will get rid of anything between 2002 and 2006. Hope it helps.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Thread Information