Thread: Help with Program Control Settings

Hybrid View

gentlsong Guest

Default Help with Program Control Settings

I am having a problem with a couple of programs that are apparently conflicting with ZASS settings in some way. I'm not sure at this point if the problem is ZASS or the programs themselves. I have tried to check settings for a few of the exe files used by these programs and have unblocked all restrictions on the files I can find. The 2 main programs that are giving me the problems are Stedman's Electronic Medical Dictionary 7.0 and Quick Look Electronic Drug Reference 2007. Another program that automatically runs with them is the Ready Reference Library. The file that comes up on the ZASS accept/deny warning is LWWLicenseService.exe. What happens is whenever I have either of these 2 main programs open and THEN open another totally unrelated program, ZASS puts up an accept/deny warning for the LWWLicenseService.exe file and immediately locks at least ZASS and whatever the other program happens to be and sometimes locks my entire system so that I have to totally reboot the system to keep working. Also, if I have a program that I opened BEFORE opening the 2 Stedman's programs and I make changes that I then try to save, this usually locks the system also requiring a reboot.The only program that this doesn't seem to affect (THANKFULLY) is Word 2000. I am usually able to save my work in Word before the system crashes/locks.
    As I said, I have unrestricted access to all parts of these programs that I'm aware of and can find in ZASS program control.
    However, there are a couple exe files that ZASS will NOT allow me to add to program control AND are not in the components section either. These files are LWWLicenseService.exe which is the one that ZASS requests permission for, and semd32.exe which is the executable file to run the medical dictionary. I have tried several times to add these to the program control using the Add button on that tab, and they are never added. I think if I could get them to add and then set allow permissions on them, the conflict would go away. These are safe programs used by MANY medical transcriptionists and are extremely important to my work. I can sometimes avoid the conflict IF I remember to shut these down BEFORE I open anything else or even try to save/change anything in what's already open. The problems with that are 1) remembering to do when I'm too busy trying to find information AND the fact that LWWLicenseService.exe does NOT disappear from the process list in Task Manager when closing these programs. It has to be stopped manually.
    Another issue is that LWWLicenseService.exe apparently generates another file called LWWLicenseCleanup.0001. This file is generated multiple times while these 2 main programs are open, and I have had as many as 10-20 instances of it in the process list at the same time. It also does not always disappear from the process list when the programs are closed.
    These conflicts are really causing a lot of difficulties in my work. Yesterday, I lost almost an entire day because the combination of these things somehow killed my entire computer sound (Using Soundblaster Audigy 4 card), and I spent most of the day getting it back and the Creative apps running properly. I am afraid I may have to stop using ZASS if these can't be resolved, and I really don't want to do that.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or information on why ZASS will not add these executable files and/or how I can prevent these conflicts? I have
    notified tech service at Stedman's and they are looking into the issue as well, but since it definitely seems to be ZASS related (it does not happen unless ZASS is running), I decided to post here.
    TIA!
    Sylvia
    PS I put Windows version 7.0 in the dropdown, but I'm not sure that's what I have. I am running XP Pro SP 2 with all current updates installed.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Help with Program Control Settings

I would suggest you contact ZA Tech thru email - free service. http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp<hr>Also see this - http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    - go thru the list of program settings and make sure you are in synch.Make sure all the &quot;problem&quot; programs have three green bars -super trust level
    &gt; Acess - two green checks &gt;Server -
    two green checks

&gt; Mail - ' ? '. Also check in &quot;Program Control's -'Components' panel for any
    'problem'
    files - needing green checks there.Better to use IE 6-7
    instead of firefox.<hr>
    1 - Please try this, temporarily,
    putting your ZA's Firewall &gt; Main &gt; Internet Zone Security - change from High to Medium does the trick. &lt;&lt;&lt;
    [ by the way - &quot;Trusted Zone Security&quot; should always be set at &quot;Medium&quot;]2 - Sometimes it's temporarily shutting off the anti-virus portion(only) .3 - Shut off all 'Privacy Protection' on main tab. See if this works??
    Please see this - http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=45211#M45211
    Please right click ZA tray icon and see &quot;Help&quot;
    = this is your User Guide - read the entire chapter on Privacy Protection -
    this area is very critical with accessing programs.<hr>Other option: If you are using any of ZA Suite 7x series (7.0.302/ 7.0.337/ 7.0.362/ 7.0.408)-
    I may suggest a downgrade to ZA Suite 6.5.737 . All of ZA 7x series contain Kaspersky anti-virus - which appears to be 'fairly aggressive' and sometimes causes issues with access of programs. The older version 6.5 uses CA -ComputerAssociates anti-virus - &quot;milder, more easy going.&quot; You would need to take some &quot;off-time&quot;; to un-install the current ZA 7x ( that's what I think you have) and re-install the older version - which you are entitled to [ remember to keep the license key -handy].<hr>

1- un-install your current ZA with the following - try to follow the instructions -
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...message.id=103.

2- Then download the
    ZA Suite 6.5.737 -
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    . You can enter your current active paid key when asked. Tips: better to use Internet Explorer 6/ 7 to download ZA, don't use web accelerators nor download managers, temporarily shut-off/shutdown or uninstall other security software like anti-spyware (Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, etc.)<hr>Little
    note: on the bottom when you put the software version - this is referring to the version of your ZA product - as you see, I'm guessing that you have 7x series. [ you can check your ZA version by right clicking the ZA tray icon and seeing first line of &quot;About...&quot; or by opening ZA window &gt; Overview &gt; Product Info ] . Send the email to ZA Tech with your situation (copy and paste) regardless.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 10-26-07 - Giving You The Best That I Got - Anita Baker

gentlsong Guest

I have ZASS 7.0.337. For some reason I thought because the first choice said Vista that it was asking for Windows version numbers rather than ZASS. Duh!

Thanks for the info. I'll check out your other suggestions.

Sylvia

gentlsong Guest

I really don't want to downgrade the ZASS version, but if I have to do that, what happens to automatic (or any) virus updates since the AV portion is different in the older version? Does this mean the updates from ZA won't be compatible with the older version?

Thanks!

Sylvia

naivemelody Guest

The downgrade option is the last resort suggestion. First send the email to ZA Tech. And in the mean time try out the other suggestions I mentioned - change of Internet Zone Security to Medium, Server Access for the troubled programs, etc. = all of these should be tried out first - one at a time and combos. If at last, you decide to downgrade, the ZA servers will automatically give you 'the right definitions for each av' {keep auto updates for virus}
    - no problem there; the only thing you would 'have to do - is in 'Overview' &gt; Preferences &gt; Check for (product) Updates &gt; set for Manually. = this is for/preventing auto upgrade to series 7x - the ones that are proving to be difficult = there is no guarantee that a downgrade will correct your access issues, but most indications say it will - again - this is last resort after trying out the other suggestions. What was listed in first post still holds.

Thread Information