Thread: Can't print log or save to file.

Hybrid View

piloteer Guest

Default Can't print log or save to file.

Can't save or print alerts/logs. Ctrl-P does nothing. When I check Internet Logs I can see the ZA log which I can save or print. However when examine the logs, I note some datavisible in the log does not show in the ZA logs.
    It indicates date and time but
    Destination IP and DNS are n/a, n/a.
    I need this information to track down a site that constantly pings the computer and tries to get winlogon.exe to send a logon to the destination IP.
    I also use Anonymizer Software and Essential Networking. My router is also set not to respond to a ping from a WAN (Internet).
    Network Magic also set to block identity.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    And how do I get the log to print?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by piloteer on 11-04-2007 08:00 AM

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Can't print log or save to file.

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry that you are having issues with ZA and hopefully I will be able to help you find a solution.

You can try this solution, as it may or may not solve your issue.

PLEASE try the following, as this will bring the firewall back to the original settings.

I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

MAKE SURE you remove ALL the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.

Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.

2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.

3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.

4.Then empty the Recycle Bin.

5. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: Can't print log or save to file.

Hey there slyfox.
    The procedure suggested did not solve the printing problem.
    I
    don't think
    the log pages can be printed.Ctrl-p has no effect.But it did appear to solve a different problem in that the offending sites that were attempting an execution of
    malicious softwareare no longer trying.

They would attempt through winlogon.exe to log onto an inknown website and, to
    try this a few hundred times a day.That's why I wanted to get a printout
    send to the FBI & FCC.

Then when I looked at the ZALOGS in the internet log file the IP were marked n/a.but yet were visible on the program log. So I must have picked up malicious software somewhere. Running NAV scans spyare and all the otherspam, spyware software had not turned anything up. Anonymizer didn't even slow it up. Essential Networking produced nothing.
    Thanks for the help I appreciated it.
    piloteer

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Can't print log or save to file.

Hi Piloteer,If you don't mind, would you be interested into listing those offending sites and let me try to track them down for you? IMHO, I really don't think the FBI would actually help you, perhaps the FCC. But, that is your decision.You may have a Very Nasty Rootkit or a Keylogger installed on your computer. Have you checked for these twoyet? PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. Default Re: Can't print log or save to file.

Hi slyfox,I tracked one down to cernal in California. They deny anything. Some of these sites can change IP at will.Used DomainTools to get to that one.
    Another one originated in Ireland. I go to several websites in Ireland.Contacted eircom.net abuse team. They sent an investigation reply. Sent another to a guy on the abuseteam who is working on it. Was able to get he DNS and sent the time stamps to the abuse team.I no longer get pings from him. The abuse team in Ireland will not contact you any further other than if theyneed more info.
    I don't think the abuse team want me or you blowing someone's brains outUsed everything at my disposal -antispy. anti spam, Websweep, Microsoft Malicious software scan and so on.
    Another e-mail thing going around is this: Receive e-mails from unknown people addressed to other peoplebut end up in my mailbox.
    No Subject and a blnak message body.
    Many originating in foreign countries.Will be taking this up with RoadRunner on Bright House Networks.
    ZoneAlarm e-mail checking is turned on.
    But like I said, Something must have been hidden in the Internet Logfiles so deleting them seems to havesolved that issue.
    You might want to try direct printing any log entries you have and see if they print.
    Thanks

Thread Information