Thread: ZA Security Suite updating issues in Vista

rochester_mike Guest

Default ZA Security Suite updating issues in Vista

I am having problems with automatic update freezing. Here is following:

Windows Vista Home Premium OS
    ZA Security Suite v7.1.078
    Webroot "Spy Sweep" spyware program

When waking computer back up after sitting idle for some time, I notice the arrow in the task bar icon is present. (system always on-line). When I bring up the ZA program and go to the Anti-virus/Spyware tab, I notice that the update box is grayed out and busy. It just hangs there and never apparently completes the update.

It appears the only way to stop this is to reboot. I have gone in and defeated automatic updating of both anti-virus and spyware as well as Program updates. Since I use another spyware program, I have unchecked the spyware function in ZA altogether. After waking the computer with these settings, I can open ZA, go to anti-virus tab and manually hit update which then performs as it should. The program scans automatically (anti-virus) at the time I have set so that part is working correctly.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

sylenthunder Guest

Default Re: ZA Security Suite updating issues in Vista

I have the same error. It does eventually return control, but after about 5 minutes. then after a few it updates and hangs again. This has been happening for a while and I keep hoping that an update will fix it. Not sure what causes it. It also prevents me from opening any programs because permissions are locked or something. I have another computer with Vista Business and it does the same thing with ZoneAlarm. (Both are running the Zonealarm Security suite.) This seems to happen a lot when the system has not been in use for a while. I have other issued too.. but I'm gonna have to go to a different computer that doesn't have Zonealarm on it to continue. I started editing this post at 1:30, and am finally finishing it at almost 5:00 because of repeated system lockups.

Message Edited by SylenThunder on 11-07-2007 04:54 PM

rochester_mike Guest

I was looking for perhaps an expert to jump in and provide some help. I reset the updates to provide automatic service and when waking the computer again after sitting idle, it started the update process again and hung. It would not complete the update process no matter how long I waited. When shutting the computer down it hung for an hour or so before shutting down and rebooting. Therefore I set the update process to manual and no definition update as I do it manually as before and all works well. This is my wife's computer and she doesn't maintain updates so I have to babysit. Looking to get help as to what may be the problem.

sylenthunder Guest

I had started another thread on this....
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=24987
    I got a response from Zonelabs e-mail support. here's what they said.

There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, OS change, or ZoneAlarm update.

To repair this problem, please follow these steps.

1. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. The method is determined by your OS but normally either pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during boot up works. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in SAFE MODE 2. Open the Internet Logs directory be c:\windows\internet logs Press CTRL on your keyboard and hit F.
    We will do 3 searches,

Search *.LDB and erase all that it finds.
    Search *.RDB and erase all that it finds.
    Search *.TMP and erase all that it finds.

3. Empty your Recycle Bin.
    4. Reboot your system.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

I did this yesterday and so far it seems as if all is well. Right now it's successfully running a scan. That's something that it had trouble with when it was freezing.

rochester_mike Guest

Thanks for your response. I followed the procedure and we will see how the system acts.

Message Edited by Rochester_Mike on 11-10-2007 06:44 AM

rochester_mike Guest

Greetings,

Still having issues with the update process and ZA is scheduled to scan my computer once a week and the last time it ran it hung up as well. At least the scan was running OK before I removed those files. I'm still manually updating ZA after waking the computer. I haven't seen any resolutions from the experts as to alleviate this problem.

Mike

sylenthunder Guest

It's back. Not going to bother with fixing it again. Just going to remove ZoneAlarm and switch to Norton. We'll see how far I have to climb to get any money back from this **bleep**py software.

Thread Information