Thread: Printer driver does not "stick"

garyt Guest

Default Printer driver does not "stick"

I have continual problems with ZA not remembering my PML driver for an HP Photosmart 1215 printer. The first time I try to print I get the ZA popup, I select to remember the setting and click allow. It will then work for that and all subsequent print jobs unless I log off and back on, or restart the computer. Then the popup returns. I have done a clean uninstall and reinstall, being sure to manually delete any ZA remnents. All other programs are remembered properly. It has been a pain in the butt for months. Any fix out there?
    Gary T

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

garyt Guest

Default Re: Printer driver does not "stick"

Let me add that I have also tried to manually configure the driver in ther program and component control but no joy.
    Gary T

watcher Guest

Default Re: Printer driver does not "stick"

Dear GaryT:

My PML driver autostarts from services.msc. Have you checked yours here to see if the Startup Type is set to Automatic? That way, it will load at startup and you might not receive a pop-up. On mine, I don't receive a ZA alert when I print. My printer is different that yours but the program permissions for PML Driver, as assigned by SmartDefense Advisor, are as follows:

Trust Level-3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted-green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet-green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted-green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet-green checkmark(Allow)
    Send Mail-green checkmark(Allow)

BTW, I have the option, Block Internet servers, checked in the Advanced Settings dialog box. This global setting will block ANY program that attempts to act as a server and overrides program permissions. You can set this by going to the Firewall panel, Main tab, and click the Advanced button. It's in the General Settings section.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information