Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows firewall -

rhi Guest

Default windows firewall -

Is it correct to have'Windows Firewall disabled' ticked on the Security tab, found via the Advanced button on the Firewall page of ZA?
    I only discovered this box was ticked as I got a little worried by message on the Firewall page under the heading:Trusted Zone Security which says Caution! Firewall is off.However if I change the setting here to High then there is no longer a caution.
    please can someone explain for me?
    Many thanks
    RhiZA anti-virus version 7.0.462.000 and driver version

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

watcher Guest

Default Re: windows firewall -

Dear rhi:

I have ZAPRO, not ZAV. ZAPRO, and probably ZAV, disables the Windows Firewall by default. The reason is that unpredictable events can occur on a PC running 2 firewalls concurrently. Not to mention the waste of RAM to run them both. ZAV is a much better firewall than the Windows Firewall.

As for the Firewall panel, Main tab, the Internet zone has High security by default and the Trusted zone has Medium security by default. You should not change these settings.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

prof_fate Guest

<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>
    All fow of Zone Alarm Product contain a Firewall that will Turn off Windows Firewall when ZA is Installed..But if you somehow succeed in installing some other Firewall while Zone Alarm is installed, Both firewalls will conflict with each other and compete for system resources and Slow your Computer down to a very slow crawl..

Message Edited by Prof_Fate on 11-28-2007 10:35 PM

jrwooden Guest

In the December 08 issue of PC World Mag. Pg 134
    They claim that running Windows Firewall along side of ZA is a GREAT idea.

Claim that they compliment each other ....

Any comments?

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi!no, wrong and dangerous, see here for a discussion:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r215...ws-Firewall-onOr if you want try to leave it on and the contact PCworld writer to troubleshoot connection issues Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jrwooden wrote:
    Any comments?

Thanks,
    Jim
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry Jim, but this is not a Chat Forum..as a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Guideline Rules,ask each User to Please starttheir own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.</COLOR> This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem,When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..
    If you have a problem with ZoneAlarm, we will be glad to Help you, but Please Start your own trend..It might help you to read the following Forum link..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=AnnoucementsThank you..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

jrwooden Guest

Thanks All!

My first thought was &quot;that's stupid&quot; two firewalls is going to be bad news.

Then I thought ... wait ... if it IS stupid then why does ZA give you the OPTION to run both together....

So I figured I'd ask! ;-)

I'm living things &quot;as-is&quot; ZA by its self!

Jim

jrwooden Guest

Sorry, will do.

Some other boards I frequent are more interested in keeping thread count down, and so I just hooked on to what seemed a relevant existing thread.
    I'm on-board now, and boy are you guys fast ;-)

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jrwooden wrote:
    why does ZA give you the OPTION to run both together....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!actually it doesn't. By default, at install, ZA will disable windows firewall.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-07-2008 02:16 PM

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

jrwooden Guest

Fax:

Yes... I was not as clear as I could have been...

I understand the default is to have Windows Firewall disabled,
    but since there is a checkbox in ZA that would let you enable it along side ZA
    it made me wonder if under some circumstances they SHOULD be enabled together...

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information