Thread: ZA updating at inconvenient times

caralampio Guest

Default ZA updating at inconvenient times

ZA frequently starts to update a while after I turn my computer on. The process hogs on resources, slowing me down just when I'm starting to work
    on something
    or trying to check mail or the internet.
    I know it is important to be up-to-date, but how can I configure it so it updates at a less obtrusive hour, or manually? Note: I have XP so it isn't the Vista problem someone else posted.

Default Re: ZA updating at inconvenient times

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>caralampio wrote:
    ZA frequently starts to update a while after I turn my computer on. The process hogs on resources, slowing me down just when I'm starting to workon somethingor trying to check mail or the internet.I know it is important to be up-to-date, but how can I configure it so it updates at a less obtrusive hour, or manually? Note: I have XP so it isn't the Vista problem someone else posted.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Upgrade to ZA 7.0.462.000 for XP, Then go into Anti-Virus/AntiSpyware and click on Advanced Options..Here is the Download Link to the ZASS 7.0.462.000Before intalling any Upgrade, go into Overview/Preference and Uncheck "Load ZASS on StartUP" and Reboot Computer before installing the New Version..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:931247596
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2935
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

caralampio Guest

My version is free. I don't see those options.

My version is free. I don't see those options.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry.. You did not provide that important information in your first message..limited features is something Users have to live with, when they choose the FREE version ..
    GeorgeV

zaswing Guest

GeorgeV - what NEEDS updating in ZA free? It's just a firewall. Doesn't the update refer to version upgrade?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>zasuiteuser wrote:
    GeorgeV - what NEEDS updating in ZA free? It's just a firewall. Doesn't the update refer to version upgrade?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm Glad you asked.., zasuiteuser Senior Contributor..Even the Free Version gets updated.. (However not yet for ZAFree 7.0.462.000)Just read the Release History file for the Free Version..http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html<P class=headredbig>ZoneAlarm
    Release History<P class=headblack2>The latest ZoneAlarm release is 7.0.408.000.<P class=headblack2>Release History:<UL><LI><B class=headblack2>7.0 Branch[/B]

7.0.408.000 was released to the public on September 12, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.362.000 name=7.0.362.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.362.000<UL class=body><LI>Stability and performance enhancements: Various improvements. <LI>Compatibility enhancements: Works with Netflix's Downloading service. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.337.000 name=7.0.337.000 target=_blank></A>New and improved ZoneAlarm version 7.0.337.000<UL class=body><LI>Removed Google Desktop installation warning <LI>Some rare reports of crashing have been isolated and addressed <LI>Formatting and translation improvements on non-English products <LI>Various other fixes
    </LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV

caralampio Guest

OK this has become a real annoyance. I accept that being the free version I can't program updates etc. However why does the update have to be so obtrusive? This is supposed to be freeware not shareware, and it isn't supposed to annoy you to force you to buy the product.
    Zonealarm now &quot;updates&quot; three or four times a day. Each time it takes 15-20 minutes. During that time my computer is completely seized, I cannot even open a window. The hard drive is crackling like crazy. Worse, it doesn't even take advantage of idle times to do its thing, it always seems to wait until I launch a program, then it starts. The program I launched usually crashes or freezes due to the interference. I feel this as malicious behavior. It is a huge pain in the butt!!!!
    I ask, is this
    the normal way of things with ZA free? I have had it for more than a year, and in the first months it
    was a charm, it didn't even update, period (that I noticed). I'm starting to suspect that a zombie program could have taken over ZA?
    They say some programs do that, take over the antivirus or the firewall to mask their activities.
    Seriously considering dropping the program entirely... (sigh)

OK this has become a real annoyance. I accept that being the free version I can't program updates etc. However why does the update have to be so obtrusive? This is supposed to be freeware not shareware, and it isn't supposed to annoy you to force you to buy the product.Zonealarm now "updates" three or four times a day. Each time it takes 15-20 minutes. During that time my computer is completely seized, I cannot even open a window. The hard drive is crackling like crazy. Worse, it doesn't even take advantage of idle times to do its thing, it always seems to wait until I launch a program, then it starts. The program I launched usually crashes or freezes due to the interference. I feel this as malicious behavior. It is a huge pain in the butt!!!!I ask, is thisthe normal way of things with ZA free? I have had it for more than a year, and in the first months itwas a charm, it didn't even update, period (that I noticed). I'm starting to suspect that a zombie program could have taken over ZA?They say some programs do that, take over the antivirus or the firewall to mask their activities.Seriously considering dropping the program entirely... (sigh)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..Here is some information that may answer you question about a Possible Infection of your computer by Malware, Trojans or Virus..
    The fact is one user can have barest mininium of security and be absolutely free of any malware all the time, while another user can have the PC armed to nth degree and be plagued with malware all the time.

"Worms, Viruses and trojans and spyware".

1) Internet threats:
    ActiveX, Referer, Webbugs, VBS, Cookies,Java and JavaScripts are all exploits, used by sites or hackers, that can be avoided so easily simply by adjusting the Privacy of the browser itself or using the ZA Pro Privacy features or both. Browser caches and cookies should be deleted after each surf session. The alternative browser such as FireFox and Opera use neither ActiveX or VBS and neither are directly attached to the Windows OS in the same way as the IE.
    SPI/NAT routers will: hide your PC's true address, protect the PC from port scans and provide true stealth, keep out all unwanted internet connections and just allow the traffic that you want or allow, inspects incoming internet packets. Plus ports can be closed and sites can be blocked from connecting.
    IRC and mIRC is noted for trojans and malware. Avoid this completely.
    P2P and similiar file sharing has certains risks of malware infections. Avoid this completely.
    Unsafe sites are not a place to download. Remember nothing is free- there is always some mention in the EULA about third party installation or it just comes bundled with malware. You have seen this for yourself. Security sites and well known sites are usually safe, but check these out carefully before downloading and installing
    IM's should be secured properly and properly setup.
    Email clients can be set up to be more secure. Scan with antivirus and do not open attachments from unknown senders. Block all spam and do not give out your email needlessly or without first thinking if the other party is a friend or foe.
    Host files, site blockers, site advisors, adblockers and antiphishing are valuable to filter and help secure the Internet.
    Use a software firewall to secure the connections of the PC is needed with the hardware firewall.
    Closing unwanted windows ports and for some users turning off the updaters of the software applications and utilities will (this will reduce the risks and keep ports closed).

2) PC Threats
    Hardening the Windows in the Services, Registry, Startup, DCOM, NIC and in the settings will alone help make the PC impervious or vulnerable.
    Using an real time antvirus and update it daily and scan once a week.
    Update the Windows and keep it up to date.
    Do not lend your PC or leave it unsecured- use a password to enter.
    Use the Limited Privilege account. It alone will prevent malware installations to complete and infect the PC. One of the least used security feature of Windows and one of the most valuable.
    Use the DEP feature in the Windows OS.
    Use the System Restore and make backups. If somethinmg goes wrong, the damage can be reduced.
    Keep the Windows properly maintained. Defrag and Disk clean and disk check on regular intervals.

3) Use your head. The most valuable security asset is not in the PC, but what is sitting in the chair in front of the PC.
    GeorgeV

caralampio Guest

Thanks for the info. I AM a very prudent user, take even more precautions than suggested in yur message. So, you think that it could be what I suspect?

Hi Caralampio,

It would be helpful to George if you gave a little more information about your configuration. Ok, you run windows XP . Is that with sp2? What other security software are you running? Not to try and push the problem onto you but how are your computer resources doing? How much memory? What type of CPU.?
    I can understand your concern about having been highjacked/hacked so it might give you peace of mind to run a free malware scan at the above link for Kaspersky antivirus to find out one way or the other if malware is an issue.

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Let us know how goes.

Thread Information