Thread: Temp folder location

Hybrid View

unbob Guest

Default Temp folder location

I have a 'Temp' folder on more than one drive. How do I inform ZA which 'Temp' folder to use for it's tmp and log files? I want to delete one of the 'Temp' folders and cause the other one to be used exclusively.
    I've tried deleting the one I do not want used, but that doesn't work - it gets re-created!

Running ZA Suite v7.0.462.000 on WinXP SP2 Home.
    Thanks, Rob

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Temp folder location

Dear unbob:

I think it is hardcoded into the program and cannot be changed. If you go to Alerts and Logs panel, Main tab, and click the Advanced button, this brings up the Advanced Alerts and Logs Settings. In the Log Archive Location section, there are buttons to browse the default location, C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs, view the current log, or delete the current log. No where do I see where you can change the default location.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

unbob Guest

Exactly! There does not appear to be any way to specify the location of the Temp folder.

watcher Guest

Dear unbob:

Lots of programs use their own temp folders. It would simplify administration if they used a single one. However, that's not going to happen anytime soon. What you can do is purchase a commercial disk sanitizer utility like Webroot's Window Washer. Besides its default folders/Registry locations it sweeps, you can specify custom locations to delete files from, all with a click of the mouse.

If you are looking for a freeware program, try CCleaner. While not as good as Window Washer, it does a good job of keeping junk files off your system.

The Internet Logs subfolder has the configuration file for your ZA program here. It would not be wise to delete this file, unless it is corrupted, because you would have to redo all your settings. Also, it has your archived ZA logs. Those might be useful if you ever need to review them or for investigation purposes.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information