Thread: ZoneAlarm firewall and sa.windows.com

amethyst Guest

Default ZoneAlarm firewall and sa.windows.com

A pop up from ZA showed up when I went to initiate a search on my PC saying Explorer was trying to contact a certain IP address. Since I didn't see any need for Explorer to be contacting the internet, I told it to block, and I thought that was temporary, since I didn't put the check in the 'save' box. Now ZA is automatically blocking Explorer's access to this web address whenever I open the Search function...which is fine by me, but it did raise a question.

What if, in the future, I tell ZA to block something until I at least check it out, and then I later on realize that I need ZA to actually allow access? How would I instruct ZA to let it through if it decides to automatically block future access the way it is with this particular program?

Thanks for any responses. :-)

Amethyst

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm firewall and sa.windows.com

Hi Amethyst

Just replace the red X for the Internet Access of the Windows EXplorer with a Blue Ask.
    Since the explorer.exe is considered to be a "parent" to the "child" of such applications as HelpCtr.exe, HelpHost.exe and HelpSvc.exe (these are probably the applications that did do the actual attempt the internet connection in conjunction with the explorer.exe), then also give these Blue Asks for the Trusted and Internet Access.

For the most part and for most of the time, there is no need for any internet connections to be made by the Search or Help. Another example of MS way of keeping tabs on things.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amethyst Guest

Thanks Oldsod. Yes, I figured MS really doesn't need to know what I am searching for on my own hard drive. :-)

Amethyst

amethyst, maybe this will then be of some interest.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amethyst Guest

Wow, that is something. I can see why people become Linux converts. Thanks for the info--interesting and more than a little disturbing.

Amethyst

All these points and the ones not mentioned can be easily fixed.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information