Thread: compatability with other software

shierolo Guest

Default compatability with other software

My ISP is AT&T Yahoo and they provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
    They recently switched to using Norton, and it won't let me install the anti-virus software if I am running Zone Alarm.
    It says I need to uninstall ZoneAlarm before I can install their anti-virus software.
    Is this true?
    Are the 2 incompatible? Currently, I am only running ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: compatability with other software

<blockquote><hr>shierolo wrote:
    My ISP is AT&amp;T Yahoo and they provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
    They recently switched to using Norton, and it won't let me install the anti-virus software if I am running Zone Alarm.
    It says I need to uninstall ZoneAlarm before I can install their anti-virus software.
    Is this true?
    Are the 2 incompatible? Currently, I am only running ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>The Best way to answer your question is with a Quote from Senior contributor NaiveMolody..

Many of today's most popular anti-virus software - are not plain anti-virus; they often come with firewalls, anti-spyware and other extras - even if the full name of the product indicates otherwise. For example
    - McAfee Virus Scan Plus = they will come with firewall protection /and anti-spyware &gt; having the &quot;extra firewall protection&quot; with ZoneAlarm firewall
    has a high potential for conflicts/ problems {there should only be one running firewall, and only one anti-virus running on any pc/laptop} Check McAfee's website about Virus Scan Plus. http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...d=46509#M46509
    .<hr>Tip: if you have ZA firewall products and use another outside brand of anti-virus software &gt; you need to make sure you only download and install the anti-virus portion {some anti-virus's will allow you to install without the firewall;
    others will not }
    &gt; otherwise you may need to un-install or delete any firewall modules/files later - if it's possible. Many of the popular anti-virus software are not &quot;plain&quot; anti-virus &gt; they come with plus'es / extras - which include firewall, anti-spyware - you can keep the anti-spyware but the firewall portion causes big problems outright &gt; you may not be able to use these types of anti-virus plus firewall with any ZoneAlarm firewall product - straight out. Please read the 'fine print' of the software's features/ benefits/ requirements on their website.<hr>[ McAfee's website - does not sell &quot;plain&quot; stand-alone anti-virus software, it's &quot;now&quot; VirusScan Plus {anti-virus+firewall+anti-spyware+other extras} home/ personal ; but of course you can still get and use &quot;plain&quot; McAfee anti-virus
    if:
    some ISP offers - free or paid anti-virus software option (using an older version) , or if you have been using an older free standing McAfee anti-virus version. ] [Webroot SpySweeper is converting to an 'Anti-virus, plus Anti-Spyware, plus Firewall' with various option levels - you have to be carefull which level/ option you choose -
    if you want to use with ZoneAlarm firewall products] PCTools SpywareDoctor has a version of it's 'anti-spyware with anti-virus.'<hr>As mentioned above McAfee's Virus Scan Plus does come with it's own firewall and that is why your having big problems with ZA Free. It looks like you will have to completely un-install ZA Free and use McAfeeVirusScan Plus - which is 'really' a suite, anyhows. You can use this ZA un-install instructions - click here &gt; http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=103<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: compatability with other software

Well, you can try it. Un-install ZA Free firewall (next time please list the exact version number 7x or 6x) and then install Norton av (please list the exact namve and version). You may need to use this to un-install ZA
    &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=103 - looks complicated,but can be done and is highly recommended to do so.<hr>If it's a plain older version of Norton av {usually the ISP's will offer the older versions} you could probably use with ZA Free firewall with certain conditions*[ if they are giving you Norton Suite or anyting that sounds like it includes a firewall - stop do not pass go]. After you install Norton, please turn off Norton's &quot;internet worm protection&quot; = this is one of the major conflicts between Norton and ZA firewalls. Then see if you can download ZA Free 7x; if not, you may have to download ZA Free 6.5 - see &gt;<hr>Some recent changes in the new version ZA 7 x Free version XP/2000
    -&quot;only&quot;, which we ourselves slowly discovered - There is a ZA Security Suite
    hidden underneath the ZA 7x Free. Which the 'phantom' non-functioning Kaspersky av in there (may ?
    conflict with your
    anti-virus plus other functions)
    &gt;&gt;
    Solution - Firstuninstall/delete ZA 7 x
    Free and then install the old version 6.5.737 ZA Free
    of Aug. 31, 2006 - here is the link -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    . -to the Release History page -
    go to 6.5 Branch - and find 6.5.737.000 - to download this version, if successful; your
    system will be working again} - [ later, you may get a ZA program update box - you may not want to automatically update that - this would be an update to the new ZA 7 x Free, again,
    - not again - tell it to remind you in 60 days- repeat and rinse, wait until further developments].<hr>The Norton anti-spyware should be no problem.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 12-11-07 - Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) - Joe Tex

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-11-2007 01:04 AM

Thread Information