Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm & Windows Vista - Processes hung, can't terminate/kill process

matt_callaghan Guest

Default ZoneAlarm & Windows Vista - Processes hung, can't terminate/kill process

Good afternoon,
    I'd like to report a bug in the Vista version of ZoneAlarm free firewall.
    Verions:ZoneAlarm version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Symptoms:After installing ZoneAlarm, some processes begin to misbehave.
    For example:

- Open Firefox.exe
    - it never opens...
    - look int Task Manager, we see "firefox.exe"
    - try to END TASK ... nothing happens ... try again ... nothing happens ... repeat repeat repeat ... no deal
    - Try to open another instance of firefox.exe, same problem
    This is known to happen with war3.exe also.
    The process WILL NOT end until we restart the PC...
    I suspect this is a bug, but any assistance/tips would be greatly appreciated if its fixable.
    EDIT: Note:
    Uninstalling ZoneAlarm results in all symptoms going away, so the problem is 100% with a compatability issue between ZoneAlarm and Windows Vista (these symptoms do not exist when installing the XP version on an XP operating system)
    Thanks,

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by matt_callaghan on 12-11-2007 01:58 PM

themole Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm & Windows Vista - Processes hung, can't terminate/kill process

Reporting general Feedback: For general feedback (technical issues, bugs and
    other feedback) please use the feedback form at
    http://www.zonealarm.com/betafeedback
    to get in touch with our Beta Team.

matt_callaghan Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm & Windows Vista - Processes hung, can't terminate/kill process

Thanks for your reply.

But I'm not running a Beta version, but rather the free ZoneAlarm firewall...

themole Guest

matt_callaghan Guest

So basically I can't get any sort of support without purchasing the product or purchasing support?

The purpose of me using the FREE edition was to evaluate its performance and functionality in Vista prior to purchasing.
    However, a bug was found, hence this post, and I'm willing to assist ZoneLabs with this bug that I found ...

I wouldn't purchase the product until such a bug were corrected.

Are you interested in working with me to correct the issue?

Hi!

to test functionality of VISTA you should run a 15 days trial of ZASS VISTA or any other available retails version. In the trial all functions are active (and 15 days trial entitle you to use the free support at ZA).

The free version does not contain all the features of the retail product and does not have any support.

Even better, you could try the BETA version to enjoy: a version with many bugs been fixed and longer period to test it (around 45 days) as well as the possibility to install ZAPRO for VISTA that is not yet available as retail version.

See here: www.zonealarm.com/beta

Please make ensure to completely remove ZAfree before installing any of the above software.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

matt_callaghan Guest

AH,

So the FREE version probably doesn't get updated at all, and will forever be burdened with bugs etc.?

Hi!
    free version share the same code (with less options and functions) of retail version and it will be updated as the retail versions.

Obviously priority to fix issue and improve performance goes to retail builds than, after been fixed, they are implemented in the free version.

Cheers,
    Fax

matt_callaghan Guest

Hum, Thanks!

I just realized though that the only thing available for Vista is the entire security suite. I'm a "power user" as many would term it, and have no need for all of that "garbage" (garbage to me, useful for some though) from the entire suite. I really just want/need basic firewall features (as is such in the free version), and don't want to install the 'heavy' suite package.

:-(

Can we not just work on this bug with the FREE version for now?
    I mean, a bug is a bug, and its going to exist regardless...

Hi!
    you wrote: "Can we not just work on this bug with the FREE version for now?"

Let's try again, this board is not monitored by ZA staff we are only users helping each other.
    If you want to contact ZA customer support please write here: www.zonelabs.com/csform

And for a ZA firewall free of garbage you can download the beta version of ZAPRO for VISTA at www.zonealarm.com/beta

Otherwise you will need to wait for the next build of the free version. We have no ETA.... ZA never publish release dates beforehand.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information