Thread: configuration problems with Child Safe.

danpoz Guest

Default configuration problems with Child Safe.

Installed Zone alarm security suite on a windows XP program, Also installed Webroot's Child Safe to moniter and control kids imternet/ computer usage. Now we can't access the internet at all on any limited account in windows. Child Safe says I need to change setting in firewall to allow winlogon.exe to access the internet. also need to set it so all UDP traffic to and from windows login manager(winlogon.exe)

Help?? I've tried and thought I found the program exception and cleared it but its still not working.

Dan

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

razzel Guest

Default Re: configuration problems with Child Safe.

Did you allow winlogon.exe?

danpoz Guest

I think I have. I went into Program control and the programs tab and found c:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe I set it so it now has green check marks all the way down except for the send mail box. I've also gone into firewall custom and tried to allow incoming and outgoing UDP port communication but it asks for specific ports. I don't knoiw what ports to put. Still no luck here. Kids can't access internet at all.

Dan

naivemelody Guest

Please report this to ZA Tech Support - let them know that there are issues to be resolved. Click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp
    <hr>You know of course there is &quot;Parental Control&quot; features in your ZA Suite. You may have to temporarily un-install Child Safe if there is an on-going access issue/ conflict with ZA Suite; with ZA Suite you still have some measure of monitoring/ filtering
    for your kids.<hr>UDP ports question - call/ email Webroot support find out which port they need to access; and ask for additional help if available for this particular issue.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 12-16-07 - Mother And Child Reunion - Paul Simon

dridge Guest

I sure would be interested in how this goes.
    I too have winlogon errors on my son's account.
    Have reinstalled Child Safe 3 times and the one constant has been the winlogon error.
    This only happens on my son's account, not an adminstrator account.
    I&quot;ve reinstalled each time with all security software (webroot spysweeper/Zone Alarm Pro/and my anti-virus software off).
    Then after installing child safe and re-booting, everything fires back up.
    I click o.k/allow on the Zonealarm pop-ups--running through the adminstrator account--but once my son gets on, up comes the winlogon error.
    To make things more fun, if we close the pop-up/winlogon error window--instant blue screen of death.
    I have no idea what this UDP thing is you were talking about, so if anyone can provide any light on that subject...
    Incident reports through webroot have been &quot;escalated&quot;, but now at a stand still.
    They want me to do a memory.dmp after blue-screen-of-death, but for whatever reason, I cannot find a file for the memory.dmp.
    If any of you have any suggestions, I would love it.
    I&quot;m by no means a computer guru, but did maximize the page file (after googling memory.dmp); I've got one hard drive; and don't tell me about partitioning.
    Currently it is set to save to something like %root/memory.dmp, but no-can-find.
    To me it sounds that Webroot should hook up with Zonealarm to get their software to shake hands.
    There is certainly no forum by webroot like this to solve the issue, other than to say contact Zone labs.
    So a couple of questions.
    I am due to renew my Zonealarm Pro subscription and am thinking of uninstalling zonealarm, re-install child safe, then reinstall (I always get the cd backup) of the new Zonealarm.
    Maybe it would work that way?
    Although I'm sure I would have to get back on here to figure out how to get my license key back up and running.
    I could actually do that now, too, since I have the Zonealarm 2007 CD when I renewed last year.
    What would be the thoughts on that move?
    The next question is, why Child Safe and not the parental controls in Zonealarm Internet Security?
    I really am looking for managing my son's time on the computer.
    That's the primary reason I got child safe.
    I would likely just forget the child safe at this point if Zone's parental software is as time managing as Child Safe.
    Feed back on that NaiveMelody?
    Is the Zonealarm I.S. have good, strong time management controls?
    I have not been able to find any information about what the parental controls are with Zone, but it sounds like it's just blocking websites or content.
    I need time controls.
    Thanks for notifying me of this new post

naivemelody Guest

In regards to Parental Control in ZA Suite - you can found out more in your User Guide &gt; right click your ZA system tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; &gt; see chapter &quot;Parental Control&quot; which is run thru a third party &quot;Blue Coat&quot; - you can check them out.<hr>Understanding Parental Control<a target="_blank"></a>

When your browser is pointed to a Web site or other Web-based content, ZoneAlarm Security Suite contacts <a target="_blank">Blue Coat</a> Parental Control servers to see how that site or content has been categorized. If the site your browser is trying to reach has been placed by Blue Coat in a category you have decided to block, access to the site is denied. This process normally takes less than a second. A Parental Control Violation page is displayed, explaining why the site was blocked. If you disagree with a site categorization, you can request a reevaluation of the site by clicking a link in the Filtering Violation page that appears when the site is blocked.<a target="_blank"></a>

The Parental Control feature is only available in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 12-17-07 - Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-17-2007 06:17 PM

nbandbjm Guest

Has anyone got a fix for this. I have installed Webroot's Parental Control fomerly Child safe and am having the same problems, as administrator can access internet but not as limited user. I have tried all options discussed and allowed all UDP ports but it didn't help. I tried to use IE's connection diagnostic and it suggested looking at HTTP 80, HTTPS 443, and FTP 21. I looked at groups in the manual which addresses some of this but not sure how to make it work.

Thread Information