Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all, I wonder if any of you out there can help me, I c...

pooky Guest

Default Hi all, I wonder if any of you out there can help me, I c...

Hi all, I wonder if any of you out there can help me, I cant set my home network up.I have 2 PC's and a Netgear DG834G RouterOne is running ZoneAlarm (Free) Up To DateThe other isn't (because when I updated it last night, the pc freezes when booted up)Both PC's are running XP Pro (SP2)Both are AMD Athlon64 3200+Both are 2.00 Ghz 1GB RAMthe router ip's are 192,168,0,1 & 2I don't have a static IP address as I am with Karoo (they are the ONLY phone and internet provider in HULL)Both PC's successfully connect to the internet but cant see each other?I have file sharing turned on on both PC's. I have tried for ages to set it up but I just cant seem to get it working.
    If I have missed anything, please ask.
    ThanksPete

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

razzel Guest

Default Re: Hi all, I wonder if any of you out there can help me, I c...

In order to "see" one another, both pc's must belong to the same workgroup.

pooky Guest

They are both in the same workgroup, 'MSHOME' I have just gone through the network wizard again to make sure they are....And they still cant 'see' eachother!Something is stopping them? But I cant figure out what...On the router settings I click on attached devices and theyre both there.
    Pete

razzel Guest

Ok...

You did enable "simple file sharing"?
    Did you right-click on the folder that you want to share and shared it?

pooky Guest

yes, I did that, its got the hand under what I want to share.
    Pete

Hi pooky

The file sharing for a home network is not exactly supported for the ZA Free. But it can and is often done. It works for many, especially for people with a router to set the home network.

First just make sure the Trusted Security Zone slider is set at Medium or Low (in some cases, but usually Medium works okay) in each ZA. Then...

Open both PCs.
    Open the command and type in ipconfig /all and enter.
    Look for the assigned IP (as assigned from your router).
    Open the ZA in each PC. Open the Zones of each ZA.
    Enter the assigned IP into the other (i.e. 192.168.0.1 IP is entered into the 192.168.0.2 PC and the 192.168.0.2 is entered into the 192.168.0.1 PC) as Trusted in the Zones of the firewall.
    Once the IP of the other PC is entered as Trusted into the others Zones, the PC should be sharing. You will have to reboot each PC first, before trying.

Now, I usually give this standard advice to ZA users concerning the dhcp, dns and generic host process for enabling/fixing connections, but the sharing does fail under the same general idea:

Are the DNS and DHCP servers listed as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall? Like this?

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all[/b] then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

This should be done also, but the method of determining the assigned IP and then using the IP as Trusted into the Zones of the other PC's ZA is just a continuation.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-17-2007 06:40 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pooky Guest

A quick one...Ive tried IPCONFIG but it just flashes up then vanishes, like a pop up. Ive checked Adaware SE but it's not that doing it, its not done that before.
    I'll now continue reading your post.
    ThanksPete

Oh okay, then try this:
    left click the Start, open the Run and type in command and ok.
    Does the command work okay now?

It is not related to ad-awarebut it is part of windows itself.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Left click the Start, select All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and open the Properties, open the Options Tab, make sure both the the QuickEdit mode and the Insert mode have checks in the boxes.Apply and Ok. Now it should work.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pooky Guest

Nope, thats what I'm saying, I do it that way and it's treated as a pop-up
    If this is any help, already in the zones are:NVIDIA Nforce networking controller 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 / Adapter Subnet / InternetLoopback Adapter / 127.0.0.1 / IP Address / TrustedNetwork / 192.168.0.1 / IP Address / Trusted
    I just added the other PC's IP, 192.168.0.3 and it worked, I can now see the other PC.What can I do about the other pc, the one with the above address, I have uninstalled ZA yesterday because when I updated it and rebooted, it just locked up after booting, I couldnt do anything. The PC booted as normal but so far in, after it came up with the normal desktop it just didn't do anything. I had Adaware on that one too but thought it was that so uninstalled it but the problem was still there so I took out ZA and the problem had gone.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information