Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRC Test tells me ping was answered

silat Guest

Default GRC Test tells me ping was answered

GRC Test tells me ping was answered<hr>Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since &quot;Ping&quot; is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

LAN IP 192.168.1.*** ( the standard
    At the GRC shields up site is my actual WAN IP.
    So something is wrong?Do I need to worry about this? All the stealth tests passed except for the above notice.
    ThanksLewZA 7 462

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

silat Guest

Default Re: GRC Test tells me ping was answered

I see this question has already been asked and answered partially. I solved the problem of the ping.But I dont understand why my wan IP is still on the GRC page...

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>silat wrote:
    I see this question has already been asked and answered partially. I solved the problem of the ping.But I dont understand why my wan IP is still on the GRC page... Thanks
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    the AUTO settings of ZASS will allow non-malicious executable (and GRC is not malicious) to run and communicate outside your computer...To test leaks you need to set the firewallto "Maximum" and remove "firewall leak test utility" from the ZA programs (program control tab).Now run the GRC Leak Test again.Please set back the firewall to AUTO once done. AUTO is important to correctly set your software to work properly. It will move to MAXIMUM automatically after 7 to 21 days.Please keep us posted on your progress..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:932669099
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3055
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

brewabeer Guest

Your IP address is visible to any website you visit. A firewall does not make you anonymous, it just blocks incoming traffic you haven't asked for.

Websites (and the internet as a whole) still need to know your IP in order to deliver content that you ask for. If you have a router then the router uses the IP address your ISP gives you, and your computer/s just have local addresses on the LAN. When you visit GRC it is actually communicating with your router, not your PC.

Are you using a Router or modem doing NAT? Probably its your router that answer to internet calls and not ZASS.
    One way to know is to compare IP tested and your IP. If they are different its a router problem...

Both version 7.0.462 and 337will pass the stealth test without problems.

For WIFI you only need to ensure you use WPA or WPA2 encryption with a password more than 30 RANDOM characters.
    Also ensure that you change the default password of your router.

GeorgeV

shoobeedoobee Guest

Please excuse my ignorance and/or limited knowledge. I got the same ping failure on GRC. In ZA's Firewall/Custom settings, I set ZA to block ICMP Echo in and out, but GRC still failed it, so I set all ICMP to be blocked. It still failed GRC's test. I obviously don't have access to my ISP's router, so am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there something else I can do?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>shoobeedoobee wrote:
    Please excuse my ignorance and/or limited knowledge. I got the same ping failure on GRC. In ZA's Firewall/Custom settings, I set ZA to block ICMP Echo in and out, but GRC still failed it, so I set all ICMP to be blocked. It still failed GRC's test. I obviously don't have access to my ISP's router, so am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there something else I can do?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    the AUTO settings of ZASS will allow non-malicious executable (and GRC is not malicious) to run and communicate outside your computer...To test leaks you need to set the firewallto "Maximum" and remove "firewall leak test utility" from the ZA programs (program control tab).Now run the GRC Leak Test again.Please set back the firewall to AUTO once done. AUTO is important to correctly set your software to work properly. It will move to MAXIMUM automatically after 7 to 21 days.Please keep us posted on your progress..
    GeorgeV

shoobeedoobee Guest

It's not the leak test utility I used, it's the online Common Ports Probe on the GRC website.

GeorgeV

shoobeedoobee Guest

I read that thread previously but I don't have a router, I have a domestic broadband modem. I'm a simple home user.

&quot;One way to know is to compare IP tested and your IP. If they are different its a router problem...&quot;

And if they're the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information