Thread: Wrong program identified by 7.0.462.000

spencerm Guest

Default Wrong program identified by 7.0.462.000

It seems like sometimes ZA mixes up which programs are which.

When a program that should be allowed to accesses the internet tries, sometimes that I get a message that some other program (which might not even have a current process in the task list) is trying to access the internet. If I deny the access the the program that should have access does not function.

Is anyone else having things like this happen?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

bigdawg_daddy Guest

Default Re: Wrong program identified by 7.0.462.000

<blockquote><hr>SpencerM wrote:
    It seems like sometimes ZA mixes up which programs are which.

When a program that should be allowed to accesses the internet tries, sometimes that I get a message that some other program (which might not even have a current process in the task list) is trying to access the internet. If I deny the access the the program that should have access does not function.

Is anyone else having things like this happen?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

<hr></blockquote>Welcome to the ZA User Forum..

This could be that ZoneALarms Database may have been corrupted somehow,thus affecting the logging and Program Permisions ,you may need to Reset the ZA database,
    BUT BE AWARE this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing
    the permission settings

is a simple process.

Reset the database this way
    1. Shut down the client from the system tray (Right click ZA icon choose shutdown)
    2. access the c:\windows\internet logs folder
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.
    4. Restart Zone Alarm..

spencerm Guest

I renamed and recreated the rdb files a while ago but still have the same problems.

If it were a corrupted index, I would think, it would still reference the same incorrect program.

The problem is not consistent.

Today (within five minutes):

1) I started Firefox and was asked by ZA if wpsched4.exe should have access to the internet. I denied it, and firefox could not access the internet. wpsched4.exe is part of WebPosition (a program I use) but was not running. In ZA Program Control wpsched4.exe is configured to prompt for internet access.

2) I close Firefox and reopen it and do not have access to the internet. I look in the ZA program log and see that verclsid.exe was blocked from accessing the internet. ZA Program Control is configured to deny internet access to verclsid.exe.

3) I close Firefox and reopen it. As occurred first, I was asked by ZA if wpsched4.exe should have access to the internet. I allow it, and firefox has access to the internet.

4) I close Firefox, reopen it, and have access to the internet. ZA Program Control is configured to allow internet access to Firefox .exe.

So I have some strange and inconsistent behavior when common applications try to access the internet. I am concerned that ZA may also misidentify a malicious program as a one that has access without prompting (like firefox).

I suspect there is another file corrupted in the ZA. Or it could be there is another active/non active security application interferring with the ZA. It is even possible some remmants of previous security are interferring.

Download another ZA AntiSpy</font color>installer using the Internet Explorer (no accelerators ow download managers please).
    Uninstall using the "/ clean"</font color> method. Then install again using the new installer.

If this still happens, I would suggest to contact Technical Support</font color>. It is free by email.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

spencerm Guest

Default New problem

I did a clean install as you suggested.

This may have corrected that problem (since I have not noticed it misidentify) but now if Process Guard is active ZA takes 25% of my cpu time split between zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe. It seems to have constant context switching with zlclient waiting for WrLpcReply and vsmon waiting for WrLpcReceive (as reported by Sysinternals Process Explorer). There seems to be an inter-program loop. When I disable Process Guard, ZA cpu usage continues but can sometimes stop after opening and closing the ZA Gui.

I have the same ZA 25% cpu usage during a sweep with SpySweeper but not with it just being loaded.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: New problem

Hi!
    not really, but I can warn you that you may expect further problems using all these tools realtime.
    Spysweeper has shields that can conflicts with ZA OS firewall and PG (not been updated since sometime) can be a problem.

You may not notice problems on the surface but inconsistency behind the scene will happen, I have seen cases of SS/ZA fighting for detection and finally blocking each other with less protection for the end user.

A good and measured use of OS firewall in ZA, AV and AS module and privacy control can simply do the job without the rest of the tools that you can use 'on demand' to clean cookies (what usually SS finds) and PG to get some warnings on module loading on your system. The issue is also that some of this tools are not easy to work only on demand....

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

spencerm Guest

I do not use SpySweeper real-time. I just use it to occasionally scan my system. But I noticed ZA had similar cpu usage characteristics when SpySweeper did a sweep or when Process Guard is Enabled.

Yes, it is true SpySweeper is more of a potential resource hog and does conflict with some other applications. That is why I do not use it in real-time.

Process Guard, on the other hand, (even though it is old) tends to be efficient and does not interfere except during installs for which I disable it. There are still many things PG alerts on that ZA lets run so I would like to continue using it until I find a better replacement.

I did not have this problem until I did a clean uninstall of ZA to correct another problem where ZA misidentified programs.

It seems that there are some bugs (or new incompatibilities) in the 7.0.462 release of ZA. I am just pointing them out. Hopefully these problems can be corrected.

I have been a long time user of ZA and have recommended it to others and have had my company buy it for all our computers. But I prefer having the separate security programs rather than a suite. That way there is some overlap and not a single point of failure. I use ZA for firewall and real-time spyware blocking, nod32 for antivirus, and ProcessGuard to prevent unwanted program execution. I use Spybot, adaware, and SpySweeper to do occasional scans for spyware.

I tried submitting the problem to tech support but after hitting the submit button the page returned and I am not sure if it really was submitted.

Thanks for trying to help.

Spencer

bigdawg_daddy Guest

<blockquote><hr>SpencerM wrote:
    I do not use SpySweeper real-time. I just use it to occasionally scan my system. But I noticed ZA had similar cpu usage characteristics when SpySweeper did a sweep or when Process Guard is Enabled.

Yes, it is true SpySweeper is more of a potential resource hog and does conflict with some other applications. That is why I do not use it in real-time.

Process Guard, on the other hand, (even though it is old) tends to be efficient and does not interfere except during installs for which I disable it. There are still many things PG alerts on that ZA lets run so I would like to continue using it until I find a better replacement.

I did not have this problem until I did a clean uninstall of ZA to correct another problem where ZA misidentified programs.

It seems that there are some bugs (or new incompatibilities) in the 7.0.462 release of ZA. I am just pointing them out. Hopefully these problems can be corrected.

I have been a long time user of ZA and have recommended it to others and have had my company buy it for all our computers. But I prefer having the separate security programs rather than a suite. That way there is some overlap and not a single point of failure. I use ZA for firewall and real-time spyware blocking, nod32 for antivirus, and ProcessGuard to prevent unwanted program execution. I use Spybot, adaware, and SpySweeper to do occasional scans for spyware.

I tried submitting the problem to tech support but after hitting the submit button the page returned and I am not sure if it really was submitted.

Thanks for trying to help.

Spencer
    <hr></blockquote>I'm just a User here..
    Two ZA Guru's have given you very good advice.. It is your Computer Security at risk, so it is ultimately up to you to decide what advice you accept and what utilities you run on your computer

as far as Contacting Zone Alarm Tech Support or Customer Service Web-Site..
    The Za
    Submit Server works better with
    Windows Internet Explore, when you click on the Submit button using FireFox or Opera, for some reason your are returned to the submit page and to Auto Generated Confirmation Email is sent to you as your Request was not Submited unless to used IE..

Thread Information