Thread: ZoneAlarm does not allow new version of program to work

netnuevo Guest

Default ZoneAlarm does not allow new version of program to work

Hello:
    I use ZoneAlarm 7.0.337 and Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Last week, after Thunderbird upgraded itself to 2.0.0.9, it stopped working. A tech support person
    advised me to
    remove the permissions for Thunderbird in my firewall and then reset them when I was
    prompted to.

Apparently the new program name was similar enough to the old program name to not raise an alarm in ZoneAlarm, but not similar enough to be able run normally?
    I told the support person I'd notify you as to the problem.
    Otherwise, I love your product and advise everyone I know to use it.
    Thanks and regards,Stephanie Ray

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

watcher Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm does not allow new version of program to work

Dear netnuevo:

You should receive a changed program alert when a program is upgraded. ZA uses MD5 hashes to identify programs, NOT filenames(otherwise, I could rename a malware program as Notepad.exe or some other trusted program and ZA would allow it to run without any warning). It is a software authentication method to alert users of possible trojanized versions of good programs. Upgrades will cause this alert also as components of the program are removed and replaced with upgraded ones.

I would recommend when you uninstall a program to also remove its program listing from the Programs tab of the Program Control panel. Assuming you download the new version from a trusted location, you can then install it with no problems and it will be a clean install. I prefer clean installs to upgrading. The latter takes less time and is easier to do but may be more problematic.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information