Thread: Correct Program control settings

ldkamb Guest

Default Correct Program control settings

The program control option lists all the programs ZA encounters. Following that from left to right is a mish mash of red X's, Green Checkmarks and Blue question marks. How do I KNOW which programs to Block, Allow and/or Question?

Default Re: Correct Program control settings

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ldkamb wrote:
    The program control option lists all the programs ZA encounters. Following that from left to right is a mish mash of red X's, Green Checkmarks and Blue question marks. How do I KNOW which programs to Block, Allow and/or Question?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    anytime that you Allow or deny access to a Program or function that ZA pops-up an Alert,That information is stored in the "PROGRAM CONTROL" Option under the "Program" tabClick on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tabThat will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for.. whatever program you are having a problem with....in the "Trusted Level" Column of(that program name)LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that ColumnThe next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" accessChange all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with(That Program)or any other program listed in Program Control.. NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rightsc.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorere.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..To get out of the ZA Menu Display Look at the TOP far Right corner there is a Small X, click on that X to turn OFF the ZA Menu..and you all set to Go..One more thing why I got your attention..On the ZA Menu near the Bottom Left..is the Privacy Option that controls The "Site List" of places that you have visited with MS IE..If you have a problem accessing a Web Site, it may be because the Listing for that web Site is Listed in thePrivacy (Site List) and is trying to protect you from yourself..If you need to gain more Access to that Web Site this is one place were you Look..Click on the Privacy Tab, then Click on Site-list, then look down the list for the Web-site name,Right Click on the web-site name or address and click on "Options" a new window opens with three columns, Cookies, Ad-Blocking and Mobile Codes.. click on Reset to Default and click on Apply for each of the three columns, then clock OK..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:933064169
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3085
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Dear Idkamb:

I doubt that anyone on this forum could give you a definitive answer to that question. GeorgeV has given you program permissions for a few entries. Each computer is usually unique in the software inventory it has(home PCs). To help you with setting program permissions, the ZA editions have SmartDefense Advisor, which automatically assigns program permissions based on a database that Checkpoint maintains. These settings may change with time based on current threats and vulnerabilities. As long as it is set to Auto, you may never need to change any of these permissions. However, if you are having difficulty running a program or if there are no settings for this program in Checkpoint's database, it will be necessary to manually set these permissions yourself. If there are no settings available, you will receive one or more New Program alerts and prompted for the permissions. When you do change permissions, the value in the Smart Defense column in the Programs tab of the Program Control panel changes from Auto to Custom. SmartDefense Advisor will no longer monitor these permissions or change them so long as this column has the Custom value. To give back control to SmartDefense Advisor, you would either change the Custom value to Auto or right click the program listing and click Remove and the next time you ran the program, SmartDefense Advisor would assign program permissions again.

To be sure SmartDefense Advisor is active, click Program Control panel, Main tab, and in the middle section entitled, SmartDefense Advisor, be sure the slider control is set to Auto.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

moose1am Guest

When I chose to allow trusted internet and network assess to the zone alarm update client is changes back to block that setting after a few minutese.
    When I set it up to use Three Green Bars and to allow that programt access the trusted and internet zone and to allow it to act as a trusted and interent server and to access my email it won't stay that way.

The next time I check the program setting for Zone Alarms Update Client it's changed back to ?? marks again.
    I just changed it from custom to System so I'll see if that helps it retain it's access to the internet

watcher Guest

Dear Moose1am:

I use ZAPRO and SmartDefense Advisor has assigned the following permissions to ZoneAlarm Updating Client
    (UpdClient.exe):

Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet=green checkmark(Allow)
    Send Mail=red X(Block)

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Actually my update client always loses the green bars too. I just ignore it.

I think it does not need any server rights for the internet. That could open a port and be a risk.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-30-2007 10:59 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Oldsod wrote:
    Actually my update client always loses the green bars too. I just ignore it.

I think it does not need any server rights for the internet. That could open a port and be a risk.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-30-2007 10:59 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same Here... On both ZASS XP and ZASS Vista..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information