Thread: Configure ZA to block DCOM on port Ranges?

opforce Guest

Default Configure ZA to block DCOM on port Ranges?

Hi,
    GRC.com shields up shows I have an open port (1030) and is recommending I configure the firewall to block it.
    I have been trying to configure it to block the range 1024- 1035 but the scann
    still shows it open.
    I have put the ports in to block in "Block Incoming/Outgoing NETBIOS", "Block Incoming/Outgoing UDP", "Block Incoming/Outgoing TCP".
    My internet zone is set to HIGH and the ports are listed in the custom firewall settings.
    shouldn't this be it?
    any help would be appreciated.
    One more thing, my girl friend opend a email yesterday that installed a trojan.
    ZA cought it but I have been going thorugh the computer to make sure there is nothing else wrong.
    this open port does bother me.
    thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

opforce Guest

Default Re: Configure ZA to block DCOM on port Ranges?

Follow-up
    oddly enough, I turned on the windows firewall and it passed the scan as stealth.
    Strange.
    i can't understand why ZA wouldn't work.
    I now have both firewalls running.
    I'm very suspicious of the trojan that got loaded yesterday,
    even though ZA quarantined the item and I deleted it.
    Any ideas?
    Should I unistall and reinstall ZA?

You did the grc shieldsup test from behind a router or NAT enabled modem? When the test started, it showed the IP tested - does the IP match the IP of the computer or that of the gateway?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

opforce Guest

hi,
    I'm using a broadband card away from home.
    So the test was done against the IP addressed actually assigned to my laptop.When I'm home, i use a NAT router so I'm not that worried about things.

Since I'm mobile, my connection is a little less secure.

If you did the test at a public wifi or open internet hotspot, you no doubt tested the firewall of that router or server.
    The grc test always initially shows the actual IP being tested - it was probably the IP of that router or hardware firewall that got tested and not the IP of the laptop.

Use the last severale links in the scrolling siggy below for some extra scans - these are free - and some advice/tips on malware removal for the possibility of some remaining malware.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

opforce Guest

thanks,
    just to be clear.
    i'm using a broadband wireless device, NOT a public wifi or hotspot.the IP scaned was that of my PC, which i verified using ipconfig/all
    Still don't understand why ZA can't block these ports.
    Thanks again

Default Configure ZA to block DCOM on port Ranges_edited.

If you have a wireless device in front of the PC for the test, it is still the wireless device with it's own SPI/NAT firewall that is being tested, not the PC/laptop.
    The port scan have to be performed with the computer connected directly to the modem. This way only and no other. There maybe a possibilty the router/wifi has ports forwarded or open.

The only time the ZA will have opened or closed ports showing in a port scan is when there are some applications listed with internet server rights. Remove these and the port are closed and stealthed as it should be. By default, the ZA has all ports closed and stealthed. It is the allowing of Internet servers in the Program Control or the lowering of the slider to Medium/Low instead of High ( for the Internet Security Zone slider) that will have port become visible or open.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-14-2008 12:21 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information