Thread: Problem sending mail from ASP script to remote mail server

andysanderson Guest

Default Problem sending mail from ASP script to remote mail server

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I run a local web server in my house on which are some classic ASP scripts that use CDOSYS to send e-mail via SMTP to my ISP's mail server [i.e. objMail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/con...endusing") = 2].

For no apparent reason, a couple of days ago this spontaneously stopped working, but now if I disable Zone Alarm, it works just fine again. It does not make any difference whether I use SMPT authentication or not. Therefore I think the problem is with Zone Alarm.

I am not familiar enough with the underlying workings of IIS to know how to force/enable attempts by CDOSYS get through the firewall, which I imagine is what is being stopped now. This is very random and really annoying, so does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

andysanderson Guest

Default Re: Problem sending mail from ASP script to remote mail server

Typically, I post a message, and ten minutes later I find the solution...

This in the ZA log:

ACCESS,2008/01/20,11:23:38 +0:00 GMT,COM Surrogate has been blocked from sending e-mail messages. Use the Programs List to allow Send Mail permissions for this program.,N/A,N/A

So I did, and it worked :-)

Don't ask me what COM Surrogate is, but I guess it is part of the underlying system that sends mail from ASP/IIS, and certainly don't ask me why Zone Alarm randomly switched it off for no reason and without warning, and wasted a good two or three hours of my time during the last week scrabbling about on Google for the answer, as my use of language might easily offend.

Hopefully that might be useful to others.

Thread Information