Thread: Getting used to Internet Suite

whyinvalid Guest

Default Getting used to Internet Suite

I had been using ZoneAlarm free version for many years, and decided the time had come where I was satified that it was worth paying for.

One of the things I liked about the free version was that any time an installed program was updated and had tried to access the net, ZA would notify me and ask permission. I play an MMORPG, and every time a new patch was released ZA would require permission (at least once) before it would allow the patched version to play. I felt a degree of security from this.

Now that I'm running ZA Internet Suite (7.0.462.000), I'm not getting these warnings anymore. I'm sure it's a setting I need to make, but I can't find it.

Also, and possibly related, when I installed it several weeks ago I allowed it to use the "Learn" mode. As I recall, the instructions said that I could change this setting at a later date - but I can't find that either. Where is it?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

whyinvalid Guest

Default Re: Getting used to Internet Suite

Oh... my username...

I had tried to register using several different usernames but was told that it was invalid. It sure would have been nice if, like password, I had been told WHY it was invalid. All failed usernames were at least 5 characters long and included alpha and numeric chars (first char was alpha)

martytx Guest

<blockquote><hr>Also, and possibly related, when I installed it several weeks ago I allowed it to use the &quot;Learn&quot; mode. As I recall, the instructions said that I could change this setting at a later date - but I can't find that either. Where is it?<hr>
    WhyInvalid,I have ZA Antivirus, not Internet Security Suite, but possibly programs are similar enough for this info to apply:In Program Control click on the Main tab.
    Move the Auto-Learn slider to where you want it.
    Marty</blockquote>

whyinvalid Guest

Yep, they're similar enough. Sure enough, it was still on auto-learn. Thanks for the info!!

Hi!
    However, it is most useful to let ZA learn your environment on the first 20 or so days of use...
    Otherwise you will be bothered by too many warnings... but if you don't mind...

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-23-2008 10:28 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

martytx Guest

WhyInvalid, You're welcome!
    Glad it worked. :8}

whyinvalid Guest

As I said in the original post, I'm used to ZA free. Not only do I not mind the numerous notices, I derive comfort from them. If a program is trying to connect to the internet, I want to know about it.

Now that I think about it, it would have been nice if (like a ZA free update) ZA ISS could have used (or imported) the previous ZA free database. Then the amount of time necessary for learning would have been limited to merely the time it takes to install ZA ISS.

Hi!
    I see, it is possible within retail versions (backup/restore) but not on the free...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information