Thread: Is there a way to block specific web addresses using the firewall settings?

Hybrid View

philber Guest

Default Is there a way to block specific web addresses using the firewall settings?

I am trying to block a specific site as it seems to always bog down the speed of the page loading. But, I can't fnd anywhere in ZA that allows me to enter the specific web address and deny that website.
    Is there such a
    setting available?
    PS I have the latest version of ZA, just downloaded two days ago
    -

7.0.462.000 XP/2000

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

watcher Guest

Default Re: Is there a way to block specific web addresses using the firewall settings?

Dear philber:

Unfortunately, ZAfree does not have an Expert tab in the Firewall panel but you can use the Zones tab to add a website there to the Blocked zone. In the Zones tab, click Add in the lower right, then Host/Site. In the Add Host/Site dialog box, click the down arrow by Zone, and select Blocked. Input the fully-qualified domain name(FQDN) to the Host name field, a short explanation to the Description field, then click OK.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

philber Guest

Default Re: Is there a way to block specific web addresses using the firewall settings?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying, but when I get to the Zone drop down box, the only option is TRUSTED. This is where the problem lies. I came to that area before figuring I could do just what you said, and it will not let me block anything, TRUSTED is the only option. I have the latest version of ZA and I am current on updates, so I am confused what the problem is with my set up.

You are correct philber. The ZA Free does not have the Block option in the Zones.
    The reason why is simple - ZLs want you to buy the paid version.

You are best solution is to add the url with the 127.0.0.1 address in the host file found in the WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc to block the address.

I use the ZA Antispy version myself, but for practise or keeping in touch, I recently installed the ZA Free.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rtpm Guest

I did what you pointed out..thanks. However, even after rebooting machine, it still allows me to get to myspace.com;
    I'm trying to block certain sites during the week on one of my machines which my 16 yr old uses for homework, research, etc.
    There are multiple ip addresses associated with it (listed in the search box when configuring site to be blocked).
    I'll experiment, but do you think I need to list the site separately with each ip address in order to work?
    Thanks watcher....rtpm

Thread Information