Thread: It's always something! DHCP?

mistress Guest

Default It's always something! DHCP?

Hi Gang, Hi OldSod!

I have been getting Windows protection errors, that I think are from .NET programs on my machine.
    I JUST reformatted and re-installed my xpsp2.
    I installed my necessary proggies, my ZAISS and the online TV cap program that uses .NET and BOOM errors!
    I recall that when I set up my ZAISS, something strange set itself in the firewall config, that was never there before!
    The extra entry is the dhcp as a trusted. I usually only have the internet provider and the 127.0.0.1 .
    So then I decided to look at how my internet provider set my modem and in the home networking area, it says:
    LAN DHCP Settings
    WARNING
    The LAN DHCP server is currently enabled.
    Disabling the LAN DHCP server will require assigning static IP addresses to the computers.

I am NOT using a router, I am NOT a server. I am 1 single machine!
    Help please! I am tired of crashing!

(oh .. NO virus or spyware)

Default Re: It's always something! DHCP?

Hi Mistress

Okay first set the ZA Program Control slider to medium. Then open the Custom button and open the OSFirewall tab in the new window. In the right hand column, open each of the last three items by left click and set these either to Ask or Use Program Settings.

Next check the Program list and make sure any new windows entires have three green bars. Do the same for the older entries too. Open the Options (in the right click) of each entry and make sure the first two items are checked and OK'd.

Oh, the modem we saw last time is acting as a hardware firewall. This is a good thing. Not a detriment by any means. It is providing an extra layer of filtering for the inbound connections. The only time it will be a detriment is if you have to have an opened port - then and only then navigate into the modem with the IE and open the port. But it is very doubtful any ports need to be opened, if ever.

Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mistress Guest

YOU SAID: "Hi Mistress
    Okay first set the ZA Program Control slider to medium. Then open the Custom button and open the OSFirewall tab in the new window. In the right hand column, open each of the last three items by left click and set these either to Ask or Use Program Settings.
    Next check the Program list and make sure any new windows entires have three green bars. Do the same for the older entries too. Open the Options (in the right click) of each entry and make sure the first two items are checked and OK'd.
    Oh, the modem we saw last time is acting as a hardware firewall. This is a good thing. Not a detriment by any means. It is providing an extra layer of filtering for the inbound connections. The only time it will be a detriment is if you have to have an opened port - then and only then navigate into the modem with the IE and open the port. But it is very doubtful any ports need to be opened, if ever.
    Best regards, Oldsod"

Hiya OldSod,
    Ya lost me there
    Please be more clear.
    The program control slider is set to medium, and still in training.
    Then you said open the custom button - which one? The one where it opens
    program control, and next tab - os firewall? If that is the case I don't have
    "the last three items by left click and set these either to Ask or Use Program Settings."
    And from that point on I'm lost!

So it's good that I have the extra setting in my zones. My ISP, DHCP and loopback.

But I am also getting DHCP errors:
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 2/13/2008
    Time: 11:52:53 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: THEBEAST
    Description:
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server)
    for the Network Card with network address 001731CADB0B.
    The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. .
    Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

and that is just 1 of the errors. The rest are .ASP and .NET errors ... sheesh!

Message Edited by Mistress on 02-14-2008 11:24 AM

<center>Like so</center>

<center>Good to see the Program Control slider is Medium</center>

<center>The OSFirewall tab is found by clicking the Custom button of the FirewallChange the "Change which programs load at startup" in the right column to either "Ask" or "Use Program Setting"
    by left clicking the value in the right column</br></center>

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-15-2008 07:52 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mistress Guest

You know why I didn't know what you were talking about ????
    I never use the windows firewall! I have it un-ticked.
    As the default!
    So now I X'ed all.
    Thank you so much! I learned something today!
    I'll let you know if it worked!

Thread Information