Thread: Which programs need Server checked?

ell Guest

Default Which programs need Server checked?

Hi again,
    I have another question about the server (trusted/internet) in Zone Alarm Security Suite:
    How do I know which programs need to have it checked?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Which programs need Server checked?

None for the Internet Server.
    One for normal functioning: Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) for Trusted only server.

But the answer really depends on what you do. For example, if you do some instant messaging, perhaps VOIP, or VPN, accepting logs from a router, you'll need to give Trusted server rights to those programs.

Make sure you can see the alerts. If the alert says that something was blocked and it makes sense, allow it and change the settings. Just be careful that you don't allow too much.

ell Guest

Thank you zasuiteuser.
    I don't really do much online except updates, email,
    searches, visit a couple of websites.
    No instant messenging, etc.
    I guess too much has been allowed.
    The Generic Host Process keeps asking for internet server rights, but now I disallow it.
    The others I will uncheck and just leave the GHP one checked for trusted.
    I don't know if it's important or not, but I also see about 6 or 7 svchost.exe's in my Task Manager 'Processes.'Off topic:
    I also remember getting an 'undeliverable' email message that showed an email sent from my email name and address but it had someone else's name preceding it as the sender, it wasn't mine, and it was sent to an address I don't know.
    I wonder how someone can send an email from my email address under a different personal name.
    No one else uses my computer.
    And it was returned to me as 'undeliverable' so it was definitely from my address/location.Anyway,Thanks again for your help.
    Much appreciated.

If the generic host process (svchost.exe) asks for internet server, then place the DHCP and the DNS servers as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA. Like this way:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

This shoud both stop these requests and tune up your networking configuation.

It is normal for several svchost.exe to be running all at the same time.

This email was "bounced" and is probably spam. Just report it to your provider and give them the details. Maybe the provider can stop this from happening again or even catch the crook(s).

Cheers.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-03-2008 06:19 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ell Guest

Thanks oldsod! Lots!! (relieved)

You are welcome Ell.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information