Thread: Configuring ZoneAlarm to Allow Mac/PC Networking

mickhutch Guest

Default Configuring ZoneAlarm to Allow Mac/PC Networking

I have a Mac and PC on a home network. For some months I have been unable to access the PC from the Mac but have no probs accessing the Mac from the PC. This failure coincides with one of 2 things - a. Upgrading ZA, or b. Upgrading the Mac OS to 10.5. I am now thinking that ZA may be the problem but can't be sure. When I attempt to access from the Mac I get what appears to be a permissions rejection but I know that the PC is set to allow access to XP.

I have tried turning ZA off but it makes no difference. Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone aware of any issues following the release of 7.0.462 upgrade?

I never have had any problem with Samba sharing previously and in fact it has always been easier to connect to XP from the Mac OS rather than the other way.

Using MS Remote Desktop Connection I can access and control the Windows machine. The problem only seems to lie with Samba networking.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Configuring ZoneAlarm to Allow Mac/PC Networking

Checked the firewall logs of both and saw which ports, protocol and IPs are getting blocked? Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mickhutch Guest

Thanks, Oldsod. Tried that but on the face of it, everything seems clear. Other than yesterday, when I changed the Mac configuration, there is nothing in the ZA log to suggest that anything is being blocked. Same in the Mac firewall (NetBarrier). However, I am not sure if ZA reports all activity.

If the Alerts and Logging is set to high in the Advanced of the Main of the Alerts and Logs and the slider is set to high, then the ZA is logging all. It should not miss a thing.

Hmm I had thought the mac would work with the Windows, but Windows didn't work with the Mac.

You disabled the Privacy in the ZA while trying this? Just maybe the Privacy is blocking things - this will not show in the ZA logs. Got the IP of the windows pc in the Mac as trusted and the Mac in the ZA's Zones as Trusted? Got the router in as Trusted in both?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-13-2008 11:28 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mickhutch Guest

The settings weren't set to high but I have now changed that. However, ZA shows no activity from the Mac. Nor does the Mac Firewall show any activity going out.

Even when I ping the PC and see that the packets have been received, there is nothing shown in the ZA log.

mickhutch Guest

Sorry, I had not set ZA properly to log all local events. I have nw done this and can see that all local activity is allowed. So it is clearly not a ZA problem.

AFAIK the Mac firewall is for inbound, so maybe something has to be opened up, like netBIOS, etc. Just make sure the ZA Privacy is disabled while making the attempted connections.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information