Thread: Unable to remove New Network

kdkrone Guest

Default Unable to remove New Network

v. 7.0.337.ooo Win2K SP4

I have used ZA for years with minimal problems. Last night, I was configuring a new router (Linksys 300N) to replace my present router (Linksys WRT54g); I was using my laptop and after all of the changing of IP addresses, wireless choices, etc., all was fine. I have not yet installed the new router, just configured it, so I am still using my old setup.

This AM I went downstairs to my desktop computer to find that ZA had found a new network and asked me whether to put it in trusted zone or internet zone. I tried to get out of the choice because there was no new network, only the configured router, which is unplugged. But ZA would not let me do anything but make the choice. I made an arbitrary choice to put it in Internet zone, then I tried to remove it, which did not work. The house network starts from 192.168.0.100 and the newly found "network" is 192.168.0.0 (the new 300N router is set the same as the old, 192.168.0.100 and, as stated, is now unplugged).

Since this AM, my network is now a bit flaky and has necessitated unplugging the modem and router to get back on the internet---twice. It is difficult to dismiss the synchronicity of the problems, as I have not had such a problem since I installed the system 6 months ago.

So... here is some info which may be helpful:

Under Firewall info:

Name IP Address/Site Entry Type Zone
    VPN loopback 127.0.0.1 IP Address Trusted
    Loopback adapter 127.0.0.1 IP address Trusted
    _|_ New Netork 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 Network Internet --- this is the "newly found" network
    HOME 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0 IP Range Trusted

What,if anything, can I do to remove the New Network? If there is nothing, should it be Internet or Trusted? If I keep having a flaky home network, what can I do to start again? If I re-install, will the "New Network" likely be eliminated?

Thanks
    Ken K

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Unable to remove New Network

Dear kdkrone:

The only problem I see is that in the Zones tab, you have 2 private network entries with the same IP address range. Keep the Entry Type=Network entry, with the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 network IP address/subnet. Change it from Internet to Trusted zone. Delete the HOME entry of 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0 with Entry Type=IP Range. FYI, the network IP address/subnet for the Network entry covers the IP range of 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255. This is a private IP range used by your router to assign IP addresses to the connected PCs. These addresses are not routable on the Internet. The router uses NAT to convert these private IP addresses in the public IP address that is assigned to you by your ISP. Anyway, everything else looks OK. I can't say for sure on the VPN entry as I've never used it.

You can't remove Entry Type=Network entries because they are dynamically created when autodetected and deleted when the connection is shut down. You can change the Name and Zone for an active connection and ZAISS will remember that even after the connection is deleted. When you reconnect, the Network entry is recreated along with the Name/Zone that you previously changed.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Message Edited by WATCHER on 02-15-2008 10:25 PM

Thread Information