Thread: 7.0.462 Pro Killed Opera 9.25

unraaack Guest

Default 7.0.462 Pro Killed Opera 9.25

I upgraded to Opera 9.25 a couple days ago and since then Zone Alarm hasn't liked it much. Firefox and IE work just fine, as did earlier versions of Opera. I don't have the option to go back to an earlier Opera version, so what's going on? I know it is ZL because if I kill it then Opera can connect again. I tried resetting all the rules and giving Opera full access, but that didn't do anything. Thanks for the help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: 7.0.462 Pro Killed Opera 9.25

Dear unraaack:

I have both of these and they work fine together. Please check your program permissions for Opera. Click the Program Control panel, Programs tab, and scroll down to find entry, Opera Internet Browser. Here are the Custom permissions I have for this program:

Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet=blue question mark(Ask)
    Send Mail=green checkmark(Allow)

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

zaswing Guest

unraaack,
    When you changed version of Opera (or any other program), ZA sees it as a changed or new thing. So the old permissions no longer apply.
    Before you do what WATCHER suggests, just delete Opera from the programs list. Start Opera again and it will get added. Then tweak the settings.

WATCHER,
    1. Have you tried 9.25 (beta?), if so, did you have to do much conversion for site settings??
    2. How come you give it server rights? I never did.

unraaack Guest

Default No dice on either of those, guys. If I remove it and rest...

No dice on either of those, guys. If I remove it and restart Zone Alarm and/or Opera it just comes back on the list and doesn't ever ask for my permission. I tried program control on high and normal.

Default Re: No dice on either of those, guys. If I remove it and rest...

Ok then do a ZA database reset:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb and the *user_numeric string~*.ldb and the tvDebug.log in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

That will fix it.
    Cheers, Oldsod.

BTW what else is installed for security applications besides the ZA Pro?

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-18-2008 08:43 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

unraaack Guest

Default Opera Thread Reply, Sorry.

Hrm, that was supposed to be a reply in the Opera thread, sorry bout that.

Just Symantec Antivirus Corp...Not the best, but I've never had any trouble with it.

Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by unraaack on 02-19-2008 07:03 AM

watcher Guest

Dear zas:

If you are talking about Opera, yes, but it's not beta. It's Build 8827.

Re conversion for site settings, if you are referring to the Privacy panel, Site List tab, no, only once a long time ago.

Re server rights, I have it only for the Trusted zone. I believe SmartDefense Advisor gives it Server-Trusted permissions anyway. Part of the reasons I use customized permissions for my web browsers is so SmartDefense Advisor does not change them in the future. That saves me from any nasty surprises.

WATCHER

zaswing Guest

Thanks, WATCHER.Yes I did mean the Site list via Tools > Quick Prefs > Edit site..., I think it's the same thing.Ha! I do the same with the Custom setting, but never yet found the need for trusted server. It's a ? that never gets asked. Yet, I guess

As to whether Opera really needs a Trusted server depends on whether or not there are Expert Rules in place.

Opera, as any other browser, will often need a server to the localhost and often from the DNS server. Hence the Trusted Server rights out rightly given or just set to Ask.

Mine own Expert Rules include a server to both the internal addresses and the DNS servers, so the actual need to give the server is not neccessarily a given.

<center></a>

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information