Thread: files in Internet Logs folders

adelaidebbs Guest

Default files in Internet Logs folders

I have found several files in my C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder that are taking a lot of space, and I wonder if it's safe and advisable to delete them - at least the older ones).
    These files are (with the asterisk representing a series of sequential numbers):- bu_tosave(*).rdb- xDB*.tmp- tvDebug.log
    And how many ZALog*.txt files are advisable to keep?
    I have deleted everything from one year ago and older.
    Regards,Adelaide

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: files in Internet Logs folders

<blockquote><hr>adelaidebbs wrote:
    I have found several files in my C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder that are taking a lot of space, and I wonder if it's safe and advisable to delete them - at least the older ones).
    These files are (with the asterisk representing a series of sequential numbers):- bu_tosave(*).rdb- xDB*.tmp- tvDebug.log
    And how many ZALog*.txt files are advisable to keep?
    I have deleted everything from one year ago and older.
    Regards,Adelaide

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Delete these. Maybe in the safe mode if they do not go away in the normal mode.
    You need the iamdb.rdb and the backup.rdb (the ZA uses these two for it's own rules and firewalling). Do not touch.

The *.ldb is a record of past events for records and comparisions and is needed.
    The most current ZAlog.txt is firewall events and the fwpktlog.txt is the firewall log- these two are needed, but if there are saved files from these, then delete the old files.

The tvDebug.log can be deleted and it will be rebuilt in the boot back to the normal mode.

The rest such as any zips, tmps, old ZALog.txts (with dates) can all go.
    Don't forget to clean the recycle bin.
    Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

adelaidebbs Guest

Oldsod,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have alread released some important disk space after this clean-up.
    What are the bu_tosave files?
    The x*.tmp and za*.txt I've seen before, but the bu_tosave appeared very recently, when I was having rebooting problems.
    Regards,Adelaide

<blockquote><hr>adelaidebbs wrote:
    Oldsod,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have alread released some important disk space after this clean-up.
    What are the bu_tosave files?
    The x*.tmp and za*.txt I've seen before, but the bu_tosave appeared very recently, when I was having rebooting problems.
    Regards,Adelaide
    <hr></blockquote>

The rebooting issues made the ZA create these files - it just used these as a safety measure because it did not write directly to the usual iamdb and backup files (where the usual events and settings are stored).
    When the ZA was started once again with the new windows startup, it did use these bu_tosave and either used these as an extra reference or added the unsaved information to the iamdb and backup.

Basically the ZA did not get the needed time to save the information properly into the iamdb.rdb file when the shutdown/reboot issues happened. So instead it dumps the latest information in these special "temp" files. When the ZA starts up again with either windows startup or manually, then it reads not only the usual iamdb.rdb (and the backup.rdb) file and place it in memory (to work with), but also these special bu_tosave(*).rdb files. Kind of... it didn't have needed time in the usual shutdown process, so it just dumped the raw information for later and it then would process the raw information later and make changes to the iamdb.rdb file later when it had the needed time. This way nothing is lost and all events and logs are saved and it will continue without missing anything- especially important if the PC was under a network attack or a malware attack.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information