Thread: I installed Zone Alarm free edition, but could not get MS...

vjb Guest

Default I installed Zone Alarm free edition, but could not get MS...

I installed Zone Alarm free edition, but could not get MSN Messenger to log in, even though I allowed the programme. I am with a local network in Bulgaria and wondered whether this was being stopped with their settings rather than the Zone alarm settings. I had zone alarm installed when I first came here 5 years ago and the internet technician said zone alarm was causing my internet problems. Is there any way round this. What information can I provide about my ISP to enable someone to see if this is the problem? Not sure of the version but it has only just been downloaded from internet.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: I installed Zone Alarm free edition, but could not get MS...

<blockquote><hr>VJB wrote:
    I installed Zone Alarm free edition, but could not get MSN Messenger to log in, even though I allowed the programme. I am with a local network in Bulgaria and wondered whether this was being stopped with their settings rather than the Zone alarm settings. I had zone alarm installed when I first came here 5 years ago and the internet technician said zone alarm was causing my internet problems. Is there any way round this. What information can I provide about my ISP to enable someone to see if this is the problem? Not sure of the version but it has only just been downloaded from internet.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    5.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Make sure the Messenger has all green checks next to it in the ZA Program list. Give it Super or the three green bars.
    Also make sure the ZA is setup properly for your network connection:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

You may need to have the UPnP enabled in the gateway or router for the MSN Messenger to work properly.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information