Thread: ZAISS & eMule

bannor Guest

Default ZAISS & eMule

Hi there

I've been using ZAISS (7.0.462.000) and eMule .48 successfully for several months now on my PC running Windows XP Pro SP2, after initially battling to get it set up properly in ZAISS. A few days ago ZAISS seemed to 'reset' itself - when I booted my PC it told me that a 'new network' had been found. Everything else seems to work OK, but now eMule is complaining that UDP packets are not coming through. The expert rules I had previously setup to allow eMule to do its thing are still there. I certainly haven't changed them. Why can eMule now no longer connect properly?

Perhaps a more-important question at this point in time is, I have given eMule the highest trust level; I have given it complete internet access; I have given it server rights. Why do I have to mess around opening ports for it as well??? By giving eMule the highest level of trust, internet access and server rights, basically I'm telling ZAISS, "I trust eMule, let it do *whatever* it wants!" - why then can it not just get out of the way and let eMule function?? What is the point of giving a program server rights if it will not be allowed to act as a server? Alternatively, how can the allocation of server rights *not* include the opening of necessary ports??

If I am missing something here, please let know what it is. By the same token, if I have posed valid questions please can someone supply answers? In either case, I will be most grateful!

Thankyou for your time

Bannor

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZAISS & eMule

<blockquote><hr>Bannor wrote:
    Hi there

I've been using ZAISS (7.0.462.000) and eMule .48 successfully for several months now on my PC running Windows XP Pro SP2, after initially battling to get it set up properly in ZAISS. A few days ago ZAISS seemed to 'reset' itself - when I booted my PC it told me that a 'new network' had been found. Everything else seems to work OK, but now eMule is complaining that UDP packets are not coming through. The expert rules I had previously setup to allow eMule to do its thing are still there. I certainly haven't changed them. Why can eMule now no longer connect properly?

Perhaps a more-important question at this point in time is, I have given eMule the highest trust level; I have given it complete internet access; I have given it server rights. Why do I have to mess around opening ports for it as well??? By giving eMule the highest level of trust, internet access and server rights, basically I'm telling ZAISS, "I trust eMule, let it do *whatever* it wants!" - why then can it not just get out of the way and let eMule function?? What is the point of giving a program server rights if it will not be allowed to act as a server? Alternatively, how can the allocation of server rights *not* include the opening of necessary ports??

If I am missing something here, please let know what it is. By the same token, if I have posed valid questions please can someone supply answers? In either case, I will be most grateful!

Thankyou for your time

Bannor

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

If the ZA had a change and discovered a new network, then something happened - the dns servers of your provider changed IP, or the PC experienced a bosd or mini crash or had a hard shutdown.

The udp packets getting blocked - from what server IP and which ports. Please check your ZA logs in the Log Viewer to see what and where and from where concerning the actual ports (both source and destination) and IPs.

Expert rules - for the emule in the program listing or in the Expert of the firewall?

Got another application on the PC which has some firewalling capability? Like web scanners, site blockers, cookie or web filters, etc?

Using the latest version of eMule?

Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bannor Guest

Hi Oldsod!

Thanks very much for your reply!

WRT my 'new' network, I cannot confirm any of the possible occurrences that may have caused this. AFAIK, my PC has not had a BSOD or crash (although I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'mini-crash'), nor have I had to use the 'reset' or 'power' button for a LONG time. As for my ISP changing IP, how can I check this? I have received no notifications from them of anything like this. If this has happened, how would I confirm it? My browser still connects, and I can still connect to the ICQ network....

I have *NO* other security software on my PC, except for AdAware SE (which I have not used for a LONG time, it does not start with Windows). This includes firewalls, anti-virus, web scanners, site blockers, &amp; cookie or web filters. I am using the latest version of eMule - 0.48a (it has not been updated for quite a while now). It is listed as 'Active' under Program Control.

The Expert Rules are listed under Program Control (under the entry for eMule). These are the same rules I eventually managed to configure several months ago (with the kind help of one of the Gurus here - possibly even yourself) - I have not interfered with these at all, and until a few days ago I had *NO* problems with eMule.

I have had all logging options switched on.
    As for the IP addresses and ports, they are all listed as Medium; Incoming; Firewall; Blocked; and mostly UDP. The few TCP entries are all marked 'flags:S' - I don't know what this signifies.
    There are a couple of duplicate entries in the Source IP column, but no more than about 4 or 5 entries each; all at approximately the same time / date. Mostly however, the entries seem to be unique.
    Under Destination IP there are 2 entries (multiple times of course). One matches my IP address in Network Properties; one does not. Many of them seem to be mostly for the same port numbers, none of which match the ports used by eMule.
    The Source DNS column shows the same trend as the Source IP column.
    The Destination DNS entries are all identical (my PC name)

You said to check the ZA logs, but didn't tell me what kind of things I should be looking for. I hope the above covers everything. If required, I can post more info, but perhaps you can be a little more specific? I can post the contents of the logs if you can tell me how to copy the information from ZAISS Log Viewer (I don't see a 'copy' or 'export' button). If I right-click, I may 'add to zone' (Trusted or Blocked) - I haven't touched this yet, pending further advice from here.

I can't help but think that this is perhaps a little too many 'hoops' to have to jump through just to get a program that is very widely used and popular to be able to function under ZAISS - why have they made this process so complicated? And my previously-posed &quot;important&quot; (!) question still stands - if I knew the answer to this, it would make things easier to understand.

Anyway, thanks once again for your interest and assistance!

Bannor

Message Edited by Bannor on 03-17-2008 11:11 AM

Message Edited by Bannor on 03-17-2008 11:23 AM

Ok.

Blocked entries.
    List the logs with the tcp and udp and include all ports (source and destination) and addrersses (source and destination), inlcude those with the s flag and all the rest.
    Just saying there is something is absolutely meaningless and counter productive. Copy and post the entries that include the blocked events.
    You should be able to do this on your own and easily.

Expert rules.
    List and completely described your rules.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bannor Guest

I haven't played with eMule again until recently - and found that everything seems to be working again! Possibly the problem had to do with my ISP. Thanks for your help, anyway!

Bannor

Maybe. Maybe the eMule was not working properly (not your client, but the eMule system).
    Usually if a provider is not p2p friendly, they throttle it or may do like provider (rogers.ca) and they introduce caps on the alloted bandwidth.
    Nice to learn it works okay like it should.
    Glad the problem is resolved.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information