Thread: log viewer

eebrom Guest

Default log viewer

Hi:

Just did a clean install of the new ZA suite. Still cannot get firewall alerts to show up in log viewer. Had them for a short while on other installations but how to get the viewer to be consistent?

Log shows up in "Internet Logs" file under Windows but not all the info is there.

This was one of main troubles last time I used ZA many years ago. Seems like things aren't fixed? Or, maybe I missing some really basic.

eebrom

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

byebyebirdie Guest

Default Re: log viewer

Same Here.

I can't figure out if there are no alerts or if the logger is just not recording them. Same as you, when I check the ZA log via the old fashioned way, I see tons of entries but they just don't appear in the Checkpoint software log.

How will this affect submissions to DShield?

ML

zaswing Guest

eebrom and ByeByeBirdie,
    What do you have on the Alerts&Logs, main tab?
    Try these: Alert Events-High, Event Logging-On, Program Logging-High.
    Then click the Custom button and check everything there.
    Finally, click the Advanced button and check a bunch of items there.
    Does any of it make any difference for you?

Sometimes logs don't update in which case database reset maybe needed. I've seen that in version 6 of ZASS. It's a fairly easy process under v7. neither of you mentioned the version you use.

I don't know what Checkpoint software log is. The only log I know of in \windows is ZA+date files. I also do not know what a submission to DShield is, sorry.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-28-2008 11:23 PM

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-28-2008 11:24 PM

eebrom Guest

OK, guys, thanks a lot.

I have been fiddling with this thing (and the vsmon cpu hog problem) for a few days. Both these issues were the same two that exasperated me out of ZA many years ago.

However, I've found the vsmon problem (so far)is just the virus-checker doing its thing -- I had not reset the schedule after a reinstallation. I happened to be in front of the computer when a window reported "security suite scan complete", and then the vsmon process changed from about 80% down to merely a few percent.

The alerts log is another matter -- after I found that it seems to come and go. If I set the alerts log to the "high" setting, that is, showing all alerts, and leave that window showing, sooner or later it gets set back to "off" without me doing anything. At least THAT is a clue. Why is ZA resetting the alert sensitivity button to "off"? Even as I write this, the setting changed from "high" to "off".

eebrom Guest

Just observed something else that explains no alert-events showing up.

When a small alert-window shows up in the lower right-hand corner, and you select "don't display" or whatever the message is, the "high" setting in the main menu designating "all events shown" immediately resets to "off".

Maybe, this also affects the firewall logging even though "all events" and "program logging" is on

byebyebirdie Guest

Hi Guys,

I have tried everything suggested to no avail. I am currently using Vista SP1 and it is very quirky about who is and is not "The Administrator"

I made sure that when I installed, I used the Administrator function. Might this have something to do with the problem? Perhaps something won't let something write to a place where something needs to be written.

I know that sounds somewhat convoluted but my other laptop is running XP Pro SP2. Does anyone know if I download the XP version and install it and use my license code for the Vista version. Will it work on that laptop or do I have to spend the extra bucks to get the other version?

If the extra charges are required, I don't think I want to make the effort to try and solve their problem by spending more of my money.

Thanks -- ML

zaswing Guest

When it changes from High alerting to Off, I'd be thinking a trojan might be doing it.
    Go over to bleepingcomputer.com, read instructions how to check, report, and clean
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
    or
    http://www.castlecops.com/a6341-Malw...Procedure.html

But there are other possibilities.
    Are you using or have you used other secirity software of which some traces might still be there?
    Have you tried the old trick of restting the database? It's simple in this version (7) -
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

When it changes from High to off when you say 'don't display' then perhaps alert log follows. That makes sense to me actually.

eebrom Guest

Thanks, zasuiteuser. Don't really know if it has anything to do with it but now that I've paid for the package (PC tune up won't even install so I wasted 10 bucks!) things seem to work. Odd.

Now, I can't figure out why my other za installation shows a stoplight (red,green,orange maybe) for the security advisor but this machine doesn't. Oh well, everything is a challenge.

Thread Information