Thread: SP3-Registry change attempts by "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch" blocked by OS Firewall

Hybrid View

eliuri Guest

Default SP3-Registry change attempts by "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch" blocked by OS Firewall

Hello:

After installing Windows XP SP 3 this morning, I find six entries in my ZAISS OS Firewall logs which state that a program called : "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch " had attempted to alter ZAISS registry entries and was blocked. I do see this program listed in the ZAISS programs list, with no Trust Level assigned by Smart Defense and only ? marks next to all the permissions.

This is a Windows Software Distribution program. Apparently it was trying to "correct" some registry entries of ZAISS during the installation process of SP3 this morning. There are six such entries about attempts to alter six ZA registry keys.

I'll copy n paste two such entries from my OS Firewall logs below. Should I give this program a high confidence level and find a way to allow it to fix those registry entries? If so how do I do that?

Or, was this blocking of attempted registry changes desirable?

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
    ZAISS 7.0.470.000

===========================================

Description Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the registry key: HKCS\SERVICES\VSMON
    Rating High
    Date / Time 2008/05/07 07:04:14-4:00 GMT
    Type Registry
    Subtype Unknown
    Data HKCS\SERVICES\VSMON
    Program C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\Download\DD9AB5193 501484CF5E6884FA1D22F9E\update\fixccs.exe
    Action Taken Blocked (once)
    Count 1

------------------------------------------------------
    Description Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the registry key: HKCS\SERVICES\VSMON
    Rating High
    Date / Time 2008/05/07 07:04:14-4:00 GMT
    Type Registry
    Subtype Unknown
    Data HKCS\SERVICES\VSMON
    Program C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\Download\DD9AB5193 501484CF5E6884FA1D22F9E\update\fixccs.exe
    Action Taken Blocked (once)
    Count 1

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by eliuri on 05-07-2008 05:45 PM

Default "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch" access to vsmon registry

Hi!
    this is normal, ZA will selfprotect ZA services (e.g. Truevector Internet Service - VSMON) from non-authorized changes.
    This is to prevent malware to disable it. In this case was a legitimate MS hotfix executable trying to access to that registry entry.

fixccs does not need to modify vsmon, nor vsmon need modification from fixccs.
    So, don't worry...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eliuri Guest

Default Re: "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch" access to vsmon registry

Thank you Fax.

I posted another question with regard to SP 3 and possible interference by ZAISS in the installation process. In the Off Topic section of this Forum.

It pertains to SP3 having a Windows Media icon next to its entry in the Control Panel, which I find odd...

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18509

You might feel like taking a look at that. Curious as to what you think of it.

Default Re: "Fix CCS MaxSubkeyName mismatch" access to vsmon registry

Hi!
    thanks, no idea on the icon...sorry, probably MS weirdness.
    I can't think on any specific relation with changed icons and ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information