I'm experiencing (since about one year ago) a very slow use of may computer when zone alarm is running. Actually I only once removed it from starting and it was very, very fast.
The machine is as follows:
OS: WinXP Pro SP2 32 bit
CPU: Core 2 Duo @2.3 GHz
RAM: 2x1GB 820 MHz (5-5-5-13)
HDD: 160 GB SATA2 partitioned in
- 20 GB on the outer slide of the plate for XP, Office and ZA,
- 80 GB for Applications
- Other 2 partitions for linux (swap and ext3, not mounted under XP)
ZA Suite: v. 7.0.470.0000
- it takes a lot from login to when I can actually control the computer (ZA itself takes about 2 minutes to load)
- starting programs takes a lot, even minutes as in the case of Outlook Express. But same holds true for all other programs (firefox, aMSN, Winamp, Internet Explorer, Skype just to name a few)
- while starting programs, the system sometimes freezes be it partially or completely (for example with the freezed System bar covering the desktop) while the application starts
- this happens even out of the box, as soon as I format the XP Partition and install ZA Suite.
- there are no other antiviruses /firewalls running nor installed since last format,
- XP is running on top of the hardware, not in virtual environment. Not going to switch to Vista.
THE STRANGEST THING NOTICED is that once I run any program, for some time (I mean hours) if I start it again it's much faster: it takes only a bit more than without ZA suite running. This holds true for explorer (not iexplorer) itself too: if I boot after a long time of inactivity (say one day) it will take me about 2-3 minutes from login to system up and responsive. But if I reboot it will only take 20 seconds for the same task.
So if I boot, login launch Firefox, aMSN, Winamp and Outlook Express and let the ZA, activesync, graphics and sound card clients/taskbar apps to load... I usually wait for 10-15 minutes.
What I've already tried:
- of course disabled MS firewall
- thoroughly scanned for viruses / malware
- disabling periodic scans
- using lower threshold for file size to be scanned
- disabling all services but MS ones (well, even I got rid even of some of those actually) and TrueVector monitor
- not loading on boot anything but zlclient
- this was not done for testing purpose, but I even changed hardware in the last year.
What could I do? I'll soon have to renew ZA suite license but I would like to see my system running decently, otherwise I really think I'll trade off some security for usability.
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite