Thread: Removing outdated programs (items) from Program Control - Again

eagleid Guest

Default Removing outdated programs (items) from Program Control - Again

wrmosca posted a question on 12/29/07 regarding this issue in http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=50840.
    I'd like to amplify on this a bit as the answers that came back were: 1) Delete all the programs in Program Control and in effect, start overX-(
    2) or the laborious task of hunting 'n pecking your way through your list of programs (items)
    and individually deleting programs based on your best guess as to what's no longer needed. This option requires that you Search for each item you don't recognize to see if it still exists (or you simply guess).X-(
    Quite frankly, while both of these options may be the only ones available, this is unacceptable! I've been using ZA for a long time now and it's very disappointing that the programmers on ZA haven't adequately addressed this issue. This is a housekeeping issue in programmers jargon, and poor housekeeping is poor programming, pure and simple. ZA needs to create a semi-automated method of cleaning out their Program Control area. The first criteria should be to automatically sweep Program Control and create a Deletion List for 1) items that no longer exist anywhere on the computer 2) for multiple items of the same name, but of different dates, revision, or file location. I'm sure that other considerations may exist.
    For you ZA Guru folks - how do we purchasers of ZA get this issue in front of the ZA Programming team so this can get properly addressed and fixed?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Removing outdated programs (items) from Program Control - Again

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>EagleID wrote:
    wrmosca posted a question on 12/29/07 regarding this issue in http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=50840.
    2) or the laborious task of hunting 'n pecking your way through your list of programs (items)and individually deleting programs based on your best guess as to what's no longer needed. This option requires that you Search for each item you don't recognize to see if it still exists (or you simply guess).X-(
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually your point 2 is easier than you expect... just right click and choose properties.If you get back an error message "file not found" then you can safely remove the entry since its not anymore there.Of course, it would be nice to have ZA doing this automatically, but as you know... ZA does not monitor this board and the best you can do is to write them directly and suggest this improvement (www.zonealarm.com/tsform). More requests they will get more likely that will take it on board in the future ZA versions...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eagleid Guest

I wrote Tech Support using the internal (www.zonealarm.com/tsform) and would suggest that others do the same.
    I said the following:
    <blockquote>Firewall Program Control/Programs List:
    The Program List contains many items that are no longer on my computer. The list has grown huge and the ONLY way to clean this up (HOUSEKEEPING) is to manually go down the list item by item and view the Properties. This tells me if the Program Item can be found - If not found, delete it. Deleting the entire Program list using Reset is not a viable option for those of us who have Custom settings and those who don't wish to start over with authorizing Programs from scratch.
    This should be an AUTOMATIC HOUSEKEEPING ZA Function. I wouldn't mind if I had to click on a Cleanup List function that automatically went through the Program List and automatically deleted all items not found, but this Housekeeping function badly needs to be ADDED to ZA's Firewall Program.

</blockquote><blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

<blockquote><hr>EagleID wrote:
    2) or the laborious task of hunting 'n pecking your way through your list of programs (items)
    and individually deleting programs based on your best guess as to what's no longer needed. This option requires that you Search for each item you don't recognize to see if it still exists (or you simply guess).X-(
    <hr></blockquote>Actually your point 2 is easier than you expect... just right click and choose properties.If you get back an error message &quot;file not found&quot; then you can safely remove the entry since its not anymore there.
    Of course, it would be nice to have ZA doing this automatically, but as you know... ZA does not monitor this board and the best you can do is to write them directly and suggest this improvement (www.zonealarm.com/tsform). More requests they will get more likely that will take it on board in the future ZA versions...
    Cheers,Fax

<hr></blockquote>

Hi!thank you for the update.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information