Thread: Can I backup, edit and restore the database?

artm Guest

Default Can I backup, edit and restore the database?

Seems I'm having difficulty with spurious networks ever since I installed MS Activesync with my Blackjack phone. I cannot delete them directly because they're either active or disappear when not active. My plan is to: 1. restore the registry with a version without references to Activesync. 2. backup current ZA database 3. edit the XML file to remove references to the suspect networks 4. restore this new database and let ZA once again recognize the networks I have multiple, meaningless or identical entries in the database under zones, after the Can I simply delete the problematic ones? How about deleting all of them and starting fresh? Finally, I see a setting called: clearOldEntries="true". What is this? Is it related to zones (esp wireless) disappearing after the connection is off?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Can I backup, edit and restore the database?

Leave the "clearOldEntries="true" alone.
    Just remove the unwanted entries in the sub-categories and make sure to restore the file to the original format (remove any of the newly made spaces or breaks and the correct any changed tag positioning) after deleting the unwanted information. (if using the notepad.exe)
    Or use something like xml notepad (free from MS, but it phones homes) if that makes it easier.
    Then try to restore the .xml backup.

If you made a mistake, the file will be corrupted and cannot be used any further by the ZA (I have done that quite a few times myself). So try it again with the original and see if the mistake can be corrected.

On the other hand, you could do it an easier way and just first manually delete the unwanted/problem entries in the ZA GUI itself.
    Then immediately make a new and fresh backup.
    Then start the pc in the safe mode and delete these files:
    backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files
    Then restart in the normal boot and restore the previous made "cleaned up" ZA backup.
    All or any mention of the unwanted application is completely gone.
    But if the unwanted files are still active in windows, then the ZA will once again see the activity and these will be re-listed in the ZA.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-11-2008 12:55 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

artm Guest

As I noted, these are not applications - it's the zones that are the problem.

I use Textpad so editing in format is not a problem.

To be clear, if the edited one cannot be restored what happens? BSOD or what?

Those should also deleteable - these sub entries in the Zones section.
    If you are referring to the zones | trusted and the untrusted category.
    Just delete the network entry that is no longer used.

Maybe even switching the "defaultAdapterMode="off" to "On" will work for you. I never tried this to see what comes next.

If the editing was incorrect, no bsod will happen, but the ZA will have a new window showing an unsuccessful restoration (instead of a successful restoration window) and the ZA will continue it merry way with the present settings.
    No harm or foul.

Still easier to just remove the items in the GUI, create a new backup and then reset the ZA database and restore the new backup.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

artm Guest

I cannot delete networks in the GUI because when I see the ones to delete they are active and I am not allowed to do so.

OK, edited and restored the file. The suspect networks are still there but now they have IPs and subnets of 0.0.0.0 and the same names.

Even went a step further: removed switch from network, networks disappeared, backed up that setup, edited it, restored it, plugged in switch and each cable one at a time. Backed up again and old networks again there, with all zeroes.

Message Edited by artm on 06-11-2008 09:56 AM

Thanks. Okay it does not work.

You deleted the entries from the registry and the network connections of windows?
    Are the unwanted adapters still seen in the Device Manager (use Show Hidden devices in the View). In the properties should be some information of the registry location and the devices should be easily uninstalled in the Device Manager.

Are these still seen in the properties of the network connection. Or still listed in the my network connections?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

artm Guest

It's a bit complex:

setup: Win2K, SP4, ActiveSync 4.2, Samsung Blackjack phone attached by USB

1. When phone is simply attached by Activesync (internet sharing disabled on phone), an adapter association is created in the registry (or reused) and...

- device manager shows it as Windows Mobile-based Device, nothing else in hidden
    - ZA shows the network as 169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0, trusted
    - does NOT appear in Network Connections
    - ipconfig shows it as follows:

Ethernet adapter {1D4208AC-FC95-4D47-A6B1-624EEBF52ADF}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft RNDIS virtual adapter miniport.
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-00-60-0F-E8-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:17:44 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 11, 2008 12:17:44 AM

================================================== ==========

2. When Internet sharing is enabled on the phone this happens:

- device manager shows it as Windows Mobile-based Internet Sharing Device, nothing else in hidden
    - ZA deletes the network 169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0 but adds 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    - does appear in Network Connections, I have named it BJ
    - ipconfig shows it as follows:

Ethernet adapter BJ:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Windows Mobile-based Internet Sharing Device
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-00-60-0F-E8-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.220.220
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:22:34 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:22:34 AM
    ================================================== ==========

3. I cannot simply delete all references in the registry and "reinstall" the adapter as there are too many and not all are top level. I have reverted to an earlier registry before Activesync and its phone drivers but the behavior is unchanged.

4. I have tried uninstalling from DM and Network Connections but it simply pops back upon reinstallation.

5. In the end everything works as it should but it could use some cleaning up.

Do not delete all of the reg items, just the ones listed in the properties of the unwanted drivers seen in plug and play devices seen in the device manager 9use show hidden devices).

On the other hand, I suppose you could live with it having it listed in the windows and the za.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information