Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring ZA Free

mccoady Guest

Default Configuring ZA Free

I've actually used this for a couple of years but never knew for sure how to configure it. When you go to "Program Control" and "Programs" then "Access" I realize I'm supposed to have a green checkmark under both "Trusted" and "Internet" (for each program) but should you also have green checkmarks under "Server" for each program listed?

If so maybe this is why after all this time ZA keeps asking permission to start programs I've had for a long time?

Default Re: Configuring ZA Free

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>mccoady wrote:
    I've actually used this for a couple of years but never knew for sure how to configure it. When you go to "Program Control" and "Programs" then "Access" I realize I'm supposed to have a green checkmark under both "Trusted" and "Internet" (for each program) but should you also have green checkmarks under "Server" for each program listed?

If so maybe this is why after all this time ZA keeps asking permission to start programs I've had for a long time?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..1.) "If so maybe this is why after all this time ZA keeps asking permission to start programs I've had for a long time?"This is caused by the "SmartDefense" Collumn, if the Program in Program Control has an "Auto" setting You may keep getting asked for aproval", if Changed to Custom, usually stops that problem, or Turning Off Smart Defense..Here is some more Advice on Configuring Program Control..Double Left Click on the Zone Alarm icon in your System tray will display the main menu of Zone AlarmOn the Left side are all of your Options for Control and Configuring Zone Alarm..Just to the right of those Options is a brief description of each Option,and if you click on an option on the left, the description of that option will change to fit that option..You might benefit from reading these descriptions..anytime that you Allow or deny access to a Program or function that ZA pops-up an Alert,That information is stored in the "PROGRAM CONTROL" Option under the "Program" tabClick on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tabThat will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for whatever program you are having a problem with....in the "Trusted Level" Column of(that program name)LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that ColumnThe next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" accessChange all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with(That Program)or any other program listed in Program Control.. NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..To get out of the ZA Menu Display Look at the TOP far Right corner there is a Small X, click on that X to turn OFF the ZA Menu..and you all set to Go..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953178370
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4105
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mccoady Guest

I guess I must be pretty dumb trying to use ZA because I don't see a SmartDefense column or anything to do with SmartDefense.

Also I guess I don't see an answer on whether you should have green checkmarks for &quot;Trusted&quot; and &quot;Internet&quot; under the &quot;Server&quot; column for all the programs?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>mccoady wrote:
    I guess I must be pretty dumb trying to use ZA because I don't see a SmartDefense column or anything to do with SmartDefense.

Also I guess I don't see an answer on whether you should have green checkmarks for "Trusted" and "Internet" under the "Server" column for all the programs?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) It has been a while since I tried the ZAFree version, but as I recall, Click Program Control / Program tab.. SmartDefence is listed at the top between "Programs" and "Trust Level"
    2.) Did you Read my Explaination of the Green Check Marks in my Previous reply?3.) Very Few program Need or should have Server Rights.. 99% of all programs should have "RED - X's"4.) Only your Email Client and maybe Internet Explorer need the "Send Mail Checked..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953178370
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4105
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-16-2008 09:40 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zaswing Guest

I don't believe ZA free has Smart Defense advisories or settings.And in the program list, I don't think it has Trust level column, but that's based on my recollection of ZA free v6.The only Program columns that are included are the key four ones - Trusted and Internet Access, Trusted and Internet Server.
    Many but not all programs need Trusted Access.Fewer need Internet access
    - browsers, updaters ..., paint, notpad, printer utilities ... they don't need internet at allThere is only ONE program that needs Trusted Server rights - Generic Host Process or svchost.exe, as GeorgeV indicated.None need Internet server, unless you do things which really require it (p2p, maybe voip) - read Help
    Checksums do apply and are being checked, so my guess is that if it keeps asking for a long-known program, the program has changed since the initial setting, as GeorgeV said as well.
    I suspect if ZA doesn't remember the settings, a reset of the ZA databases might be in order. There are versions for v6 and a very easy version for v7 - search for 'reset'.
    v61. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.
    v71.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 06-16-2008 09:29 PM

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 06-16-2008 09:30 PM

prof_fate Guest

ZoneAlarm

Security Feature
    Comparison Charthttp://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...comparison.jsp

mccoady Guest

Okay that's what I wanted to know about the Server column, up to now all I had was question marks (Trusted &amp; Internet)in that column. Under Server (both columns) I changed everything to Red - X's except when ZA advised me not too.

Under Access I have all programs with green checkmarks (both columns).

What was confusing was some of the instructions you gave me were for another version of ZA since my free version doesn't have SmartDefence or an option for Super to place 3 green checkmarks in a column.

One thing I've never understood about the free ZA is why sometimes I have a program listed more than once and why with some programs it insists on repeatedly asking permission to allow , but I guess I can live with that nuisance.

Most often the application received an update or upgrade, so the previous checksum no longer matches the original checksum of the application as seen by the ZA's records and logs.
    This will happen mostly with security applications and applications which get frequent upgrades (like the firefox or ie or the svchost or the explorer, etc). The upgrade or update in effect made a brand new file and even though the image name or application name is listed, it is no longer accepted as valid by the ZA. Only the new checksum is recognized if the application is removed from the list and the ZA will then see the "new" attempts and is allowed by you (and told to always use this or remember this).

The ZA will do this after a windows update and perhaps files such as the explorer or internet explorer or svchost has been changed from the originals files.

Also:
    If there is an Option seen in the right click of the application (in the ZA program listing), then maybe there is also check by file path (file location) and check by file (check by checksum). Uncheck the checksum box and instead use file path. Apply and OK.
    This will force the ZA to skip the checksums and then only use file location and name for verification of outgoing attempts, instead of checking to see if the file is correct.
    Use this method only for frequently updated/upgraded applications such as the antivirus or firefox (it seems to get updated every month or so) or what ever else is upgrading almost every month or so and is not considered a security risk.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mccoady Guest

Thanks Oldsod that explained things very well and now I understand why ZA keeps asking for permission.

There doesn't appear to be any of the other options you said to try to check or uncheck in my free version. Thanks for the help anyway!

Was not sure if the ZA free finally added those options or not.
    So, just delete the item listed in the ZA and close the ZA and then re-open the ZA.
    Then open the just removed application from the ZA list.
    Now the ZA will see the application (with no previous data of it's own) and begin to accept the changed file as the new/correct file and then just allow or use the always/remember in the Alerts. Now you are all set.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information