Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traceroutes still broken on ZA?

sgolux Guest

Default Traceroutes still broken on ZA?

Hello.

I posted a report months ago that on my system traceroute (tracert under windows) does not work properly under Vista if and only if ZoneAlarm 7.1.78 is running. I have seen other posts that others have this problem. Does anyone have this running under Vista and do your traceroutes work properly? Anyone heard whether ZA even knows there is a bug and whether they have any desire to fix this? For me, after upgrading from XP to VISTA, it makes ZA unusable, which is sad.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Traceroutes still broken on ZA?

Its not exactly unusable. I just tested it. If there is only 1 hop,then it works fine. Any more than that and it doesn't get a response. I am looking into this.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

sgolux Guest

My experience is that if I traceroute to some distant machine, say (for example) 20 hops prior to installing ZA, it works perfectly.

If I then install ZA, and traceroute the same machine, it will show that there was only one hop to get to that machine.

If I turn off ZA but leave it installed, it will still show only one hope to get to that machine.

If I de-install ZA entirely, the behavior is back to the expected behavior of showing all 20 hops along the route being traced.

Strange.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

markad Guest

I too am having the same problem.
    I originally beleived it to be a rootkit or bot that was hijacking my TCP/IP stack and only after doing a complete repave and noticing the behavior both before and after I installed Zone Alarm did I figure out that ZA was the culprit.
    Has anyone figured out why this is happening and more importantly if Zonelabs has any intention of fixing this issue?
    I do a lot of network diagnostics work and the inability to use something as simple as traceroute makes the product totally unusable for me and will preclude me from buying a copy of the professional version unless they can get the issue resolved.

sgolux Guest

Dear MarkAD:

Just FYI, I sent a lengthy fax with full diagnostics to the Check Point tech department on 9/25, detailing the problem with examples and screen shots.

I have, as yet, not received even an acknowledgment. Nor has anything I have found in this forum suggest that there is any intention or push to fix this problem.

It is a shame. Seems to me that the bug would be fairly easy to identify and fix.

mrblobby Guest

I've got the same problem with ZASS 7.1.078 on Vista Ultimate.
    My pc is a 2.6Ghz P4 with 1GB, so isn't too shabby, although not a nice new rocket :robotwink:This was a fresh build i.e. blank disk start and not an upgrade of Windows etc...
    <blockquote>Like many others I too went without ZA and ZASS for some many months whilst CheckPoint got a product together..... Man that was sad....
    I'm still upset with no IM protection and the other integrated features I have been VERY happy with and still use in XP on another machine....., however HOPEfully CheckPoint will add these back in.... I'm VERY keen for IM Protection and Integration with Parental Controls etc.....</blockquote>
    I also had headaches with ZASS chewing up my CPU with A/V &amp; A/S updates to the point that my PC just became unusable including the nasty &quot;Unable to access device..... You may not have permissions&quot; msg when trying to run up any new programs....

So I've reset my ZA DB as per SafeMode instructions and restarted.....<blockquote>So far my ZASS isn't chewing up CPU and stopping the PC from running - fingers remain crossed....</blockquote>
    I tested the TraceRt problem and in normal ZA fashion it piped up and asked me to allow TraceRt so I did.<blockquote>Blast, still 1 hop. :robotsad:</blockquote>
    I then set to Super &quot; in progam restrictions&quot; along with Allow Trusted, Allow Internet access<blockquote>and likewise Allow Server Trusted/Internet ( straw clutching and I know it shouldn't work)....</blockquote>
    Then for a few queries in a row in the same CMD window I got the correct TraceRt outcome :8}<ul>[*]i.e. multiple hops started popping up.....[*]Success - so I thought.....[/list]
    Stupid me, :robotsurprised:<ul>[*]I thought I'd try to repeat the process...... ( one should leave well alone)....<ul>[*]so I removed TraceRt settings[*]and did it again[*]and I'm back to 1 hop again....[/list][/list]I might blow the DB again and repeat...... I'll see.... Perhaps you could try that...... It certainly worked for a few queries...
    It seems there are a few weird issues in ZASS.
    I know my Vista was much faster without ZASS, however I've used ZA and ZASS (mostly very happy) from Win9x through to XP with NO infestations or major complaints ( other than uninstall/reinstall being the standard answer to upgrade issues).........
    ZA is still my preference, now if only some bugs and performance and UI issues can be resolved!
    i.e. I hope CheckPoint can make speed improvements and also &quot;give us a UI to the A/V update frequency&quot;, &quot;allow view updates etc and close updates window without having to cancel updates&quot;, &quot;Close Scan window&quot; without
    cancelling the scan,
    &quot;a live view of infestations as they're found during a scan, when you're viewing the Scan&quot; options to turn on/off these features
    etc, etc, etc...
    Anyway, I hope this gives you support i.e. you're not the only one with the TraceRt issue.

sgolux Guest

Dear MrBlobby:

Thanks for the post -- unfortunately you are using some shorthand I don't quite understand. Would you be willing to take the time to explain what the following means?

&quot;I then set to Super 'in progam restrictions' along with Allow Trusted, Allow Internet access and likewise Allow Server Trusted/Internet&quot;

And

&quot;I might blow the DB again and repeat&quot;

Many thanks!

rhdcheme Guest

Due to intermittent HSI service problems, I use tracert a lot to check my connection. Is there any word from Check Point on whether this will be addressed? If anything, I wish that shutting down ZA would allow me to tracert properly.

nutta Guest

I've been having this issue for a while also, where tracert and pathping (or any third party ICMP utility) has trouble with returning information about any but the last hop in a tracert.

Issue is definately with ZA, as uninstalling/reinstalling causes the issue to go away and reappear.

Does anyone know if anyone at Checkpoint/Zonealarm cares about this and plans to resolve it?

Thanks,

Nick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information