Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to permit access to ctfmon.exe for all apps

reinisb Guest

Default How to permit access to ctfmon.exe for all apps

I keep getting a "Suspicious Behaviour" warning when i open almost any software warning that the software is accessing the process "ctfmon.exe".
    I know ctfmon is an interface program that is not a keylogger but i can't figure out if there is a way to tell zonealarm to ignore all suspicious behaviours that are caused by accessing the process ctfmon.
    Does anyone know how i can tell Zonealarm to ignore all suspicious behaviours caused by software trying to access the process ctfmon.exe?
    specs:Zonealarm security suite 7.0.470.000Windows XP SP3
    Thanks,
    Reinis

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How to permit access to ctfmon.exe for all apps

Right click the ctfmon.exe in the Program list and open the Options and check the first two items listed and Apply and OK. Then give the cftmon.exe three Green bars in the Trust Level column.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

reinisb Guest

Thank you OldSod,
    I guess it hadn't occurred to me that ctfmon.exe would be in the program list (because it's a process being accessed not actually specific software that i myself run).
    Thanks for your help.

Check the ZA alerts carefully and check the Logs in the Log Viewer and watch what program(s) are attempting to use the cftmon.exe
    The "Allow program interaction" in the Options then can be enabled for these programs and this will include the cftmon.exe

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

reinisb Guest

<sigh>
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked after all - I keep getting the same errors.
    I've tried the "allow app interaction" option too.
    No dice

Set the Program control slider to Medium or Low and then close the ZA and then open it - these levels are the learning modes and should allow new events to occur. Including the ctfmon.exe activity.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

reinisb Guest

Yes I've tried that before and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.
    I don't get the suspicious behaviour while it's on learning mode but when i switch it back to the regular mode it keeps getting the error.
    The only way i can stop it is by telling it to ignore all suspicious behaviours by the application but that's not really what i want to do given that it kind of defeats the purpose of the warnings.
    I may just have to live with it.

Leave the ZA in the learning mode for several weeks.
    That should be sufficent time to get it to adapt.

Alternatively, you could reset the ZA database and start fresh (please do not use a backup after- as this maybe corrupted as well).
    This will place the ZA as when it was first installed - fresh and clean with no settings. It will go through the learning process once again and that will resolve the issue and any other issues.
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kamikazecockroa Guest

I'm also having this problem but none of the solutions here work for me.

When ZA learns, it learns to trust the SOURCE application and allows it to make "suspicious" calls to ANY applications. What the parent post and I need is a way to allow ANY applications to make calls TO ctfmon.exe.

I take it your inquiry is not the access of ctfmon.exe process itself, but of other applications connected to and involved with the cftmon.exe where the cftmon.exe is a child process.

For the processes that are acting as a parent to cftmon.exe, right click the application(s) in the ZA program list that are in question, open the Options, check the first two items and apply and ok. The Trust rating may have to be increased to the maximum or the Super (three green bars).

Alternatively, setting the ZA Program Control slider to Medium instead of High will allow the ZA to go through a learning stage and correctly handle any further events.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information