Thread: I have a desktop running XP SP2 and a notebook running Vi...

trader111 Guest

Default I have a desktop running XP SP2 and a notebook running Vi...

I have a desktop running XP SP2 and a notebook running Vista home Premium and am trying to connect them with an ethernet cable.
    I have ZA v7 (free version) running on both machines and have set up trusted zones on both. The trusted zone for both is 192.168.0.1.
    This was running ok - both machines could see on another and I could share folders etc.
    The I turned both machines off, disconnected the ethernet and rebooted both machines. I have ZA load at startup on the desktop and manually start ZA on the notebook. I then connect the ethernet cable.
    The result at this stage is that the desktop can see the notebook ok but the notebook can not see the desktop.
    If I shut down ZA on the notebook, the notebook can then see the desktop ok.

Could someone explain to me what is going on please?

Also, if the notebook in connected to the internet via the ethernet cable to the desktop, is it necessary to have ZA running on both machines or will ZA on the desktop protect the notebook too?

Thanks
    Chris

Default Re: I have a desktop running XP SP2 and a notebook running Vi...

Add the IP of the desktop into the Zones of the Firewall as Trusted.
    No. The ZA on the desktop (acting as a gateway for the laptop) will not protect the laptop.
    The laptop still needs a software firewall of some kind.
    Consider smoothwall or ipcop (both linux firewalls) for gateway protection (besides your router).

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-07-2008 12:32 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

trader111 Guest

Thanks for that

I did have the IP address of the respective machines in ZA. I don't really know what is going on as this morning when I both machines on as I described earlier (and had been doing all day yesterday), the problem seems to have gone away.
    It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow!

Okay, lets see what happens!
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information