Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748

ima_scared Guest

Default Re: Found a workaround for this

<blockquote><hr>CLHanssen wrote:
    How do I uninstall KB951748?
    <hr></blockquote>

Make sure the &quot;Show Updates&quot; box is checked.

eliuri Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748

Forum-Moderator wrote:
    &quot;ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748&quot;

Question:
    Is the fix likely to come in the form of a simple ZA update, or will it require installing an entirely new ZAISS?
    Alternatively, might the fix be a patched version of KB951748 by Microsoft itself?

Thanks in advance:
    -Eliuri
    ZAISS 7.0.470.000

clhanssen Guest

Default Re: Found a workaround for this

Please see this topic I made:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...hread.id=50886
    I can't re-install ZA.

promisedplanet Guest

When you say that you will post when you have more information, do you mean to this thread?
    I assume so, but if there is another thread where patches/updates are announced, I'd like to know.
    I'd like to subscribe to the particular thread in which the announcement will be made, as I don't have time to read all new messages in the ZoneAlarm forums.
    Thanks.

forum_moderator Guest

We have been working with MS over night on the issue. We are very confident a fix will be released soon. As far as how that is distributed either a patch from MS or in the form of a new build from ZA has not been determined.We will notify all users of a fix when its ready at the top of the forum in the main announcements section.We also still stand by our current workaround that you should uninstall the MS update KB951748And do not set your ZA internet security level to Medium. By setting to Medium you potential expose your computers to a huge number of other threats than just the one that this patch from MS fixes. Forum Moderator

msw Guest

I too have downloaded something from Microsoft and I am now unable to use my mails ervice (incredimail) or the Internet via Firefox

I am only able to use both if I stop Zone Alarm and activate the inbuilt Microsoft Firewall.

I am not a very experienced in IT and would appreciate it if someone could tell me in plain english how to move the patches I installed. I have tried system restore but it won't go back to any of my restore points - a problem I ahve ahd for a while. I am not sure where to find the patches to use the add/RemoveProgramme button either. Should I just change to another firewall

gerryz Guest

Ok, that sounds good.
    Meanwhile, let me explain what happened to me when I simply removed the upgrade as you suggest. I realize this won't happen to everyone.
    After the removal... I don't remember if Microsoft wanted me to complete the removal by rebooting, but in any event I had to shut down because of the threat of an overnight thunderstorm. In the shutdown process, Windows XP asked if I wanted to install the update, and said I could do so at that time. Of course I did not want to install it and said to skip that, and just shut down.
    Then this morning when I
    booted up, the darned thing got installed anyway in spite of my instruction. So I removed it again. However I did not reboot, because if I had, I knew I would just be repeating my recent experience and would be getting nowhere.
    So then the system started alerting me, about once per minute, telling me that I had to reboot. That is when I posted my warning about following this procedure.
    I rebooted, but this time the removal stuck: no more bugging alerts.
    So make of this what you will. All I can say is that it is not as simple as just removing the update, but eventually this did work for me.
    To follow up on what I said before...
    This may sound naive, but with a user base of 60 million at risk, I should think that it would have been in the interest of both Microsoft and Zonelabs to have tested and thereby
    discovered this problem before the update was released. I'm not blaming anybody, because I don't know for sure
    whose responsibility it was and who didn't meet their responsibility. I just don't know what happened there. But good communications and a procedure should have been in place, that's pretty obvious, and really, that's all I was saying.
    But I could have added, if ZL had known but had been unable to reach a solution by the time of the release, could they not have notified their users?
    I know, I know, 60 million is a lot to notify, and maybe this wasn't actually a widespread problem for some reason. And maybe ZL actually had not been alerted and nobody expected it. But these were my feelings. It was pretty bad there, for a few minutes, to have no Internet and not know why. And the only help for it required an Internet connection.

msw,You don't say, but I assume that you have Windows XP.
    Go to Control panel, click on the 'add/remove programs' icon.In the Window that opens, at the top towards the right check 'show updates'.Scroll down to the entry that reads 'Windows XP Software Updates'. That will have several entries indented below it. Look for the one that reads 'Security update for Windows XP (KB951748)' (it's the number of the update causing the problem).
    Click on it to highlight it, then click on the Remove button that shows up. Let Windows uninstall it.
    When done restart your PC.
    You should now be able to access the internet.

promisedplanet Guest

Where is the &quot;main announcements section&quot;?
    Thanks.

billdickason Guest

I just did a &quot;System Restore&quot; to get to a date prior to installing the update. It works.Go to Accessories, then System, then Restore - if you are not familiar with it.I use it all the time when problems come up.
    You still get the yellow shield later wanting to install it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information