Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748

sanddog Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748

After rebooting the computer, modem and router, my next step was to disable ZoneAlarm this morning. I then came here to come here to see what the problem was. I found the MS update threads and immediately uninstalled KB951748. I've been using ZoneAlarm for the last 9 years and it has earned my trust.

sanddog Guest

Default Re: Tip: How to uninstall KB951748

Yes. You might also want to change the way your machine handles automatic updates. You can change the settings so that your computer downloads updates but does not install them without your permission.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>sanddog wrote:
    After rebooting the computer, modem and router, my next step was to disable ZoneAlarm this morning. I then came here to come here to see what the problem was. I found the MS update threads and immediately uninstalled KB951748. I've been using ZoneAlarm for the last 9 years and it has earned my trust.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thank you for your Feedback..All users will be notified of a fix when its ready at the top of the Forum in the main announcements section--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000

TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:954820825
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4215
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

clhanssen Guest

How do I do that?

gerryz Guest

For the most part, that is what it is doing now. However I somehow got caught in some kind of &quot;unfinished business&quot; state last night. If this happens again, I'll look into making the setting you suggest... once I figure out where that is done. Thanks.

andrewbarnes Guest

As an alternative to uninstalling the fix, I just did a system restore to the automatic restore point taken at about 03:00 this morning ...

Andrew

msw Guest

Unfortuantely even after removing the new patches for MS interne connectivity did not exist. The only way I can use Zone Alarm is on medium

richgdc Guest

I have also experienced this problem, and resolved it by removing the KB951748 update. BTW, removing it does require a reboot.

I'm posting this note to pass along something that I observed that I found a bit curious; perhaps it will shed a tiny bit of additional light on the problem. After originally installing the update, every browser request for a Web page timed out. (This is on two different machines: one XP/SP2, one XP/SP3, with all security patches installed. We tried Firefox 3.0, Opera 9.51, and IE 7. We also verified that all the sites we tried were available using my Linux box with Firefox 3.0) However, if I opened a command prompt window, I can &quot;see&quot; arbitrary Web hosts with 'ping' or 'tracert'. For example, both of the following give the expected results:

&gt; ping my.yahoo.com

&gt; tracert blog.washingtonpost.com

I don't know why these DNS lookups should work, and the browser ones fail, but perhaps that is a clue for someone.

Rich

markwyz Guest

When uninstalling KB951748 windows tells me that this may cause KB951978 not to work.
    Do I ignore this and continue?
    Should I uninstall both and then reinstall KB951978?

(Curiously, searching the MS Knowledge base, to see just what this patch does, there is no KB951748)

jimpivonka Guest

<blockquote><hr>avon wrote:
    Your suggestion is
    to uninstall the MS patch KB951748.
    May I ask you, what it is better:To uninstall the MS patch or
    to leave
    the MS patch in place and change temporary the Internet Zone Security from High to Medium?

Thank you in advance,avon.

<hr></blockquote>

Best solution is to uninstall the MS update KB951748. See the Forum Moderator's posts.

For those who cannot see the MS update in Control Panel &gt; Add or Remove Programs mdtaffet has provided the fix:

<blockquote>When you go to Add or Remove Programs, make sure that the box next to &quot;Show updates&quot; is checked; this is an option which you will find at the very top of that screen. Only after you have checked &quot;Show updates&quot; will you be able to see, and therefore uninstall, KB951748; you should see it listed as part of an indented list under &quot;Windows XP - Software Updates&quot;. It will probably be towards the bottom of that indented list.

Following this method I was able to uninstall KB951748. Next I went to Microsoft Update and told it not to show me that update again, which keeps the little yellow shield from showing up in my task bar.

Once there is a fix for this issue, all I will need to do to get that update again is go back to Microsoft Update and tell it to restore hidden updates.</blockquote>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information