Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set zonealarm (free) to share files on LAN?

tch Guest

Default How to set zonealarm (free) to share files on LAN?

Hello:
    Could someone kindly show how I could share files & printers on the local area network. I followed the procedure described in the "help" section of zonealarm but it still won't work.
    Are there any other settings that must be changed?
    Thanks very much.
    tch

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

hammernu Guest

Default Re: How to set zonealarm (free) to share files on LAN?

tch Guest

Thank you.
    What should the following settings be in the Zonealarm (free) Advanced security settings in the "Main" tab of the Firewall?
    "Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in
    Internet Zone of High Setting"

"Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in
    Trusted Zone of High Setting"

"Block Internet Zone servers"

"Block
    Trusted Zone servers"
    Which of these, if any, should be checked for file/printer sharing on the LAN?

hammernu Guest

Unfortunately, I have the Security Suite, and although I have an Advanced button in the Main tab of the Firewall, it doesn't have any of the settings you mention. The only advice I can give you is that Internet Zone Security should be set to High and Trusted Zone Security should be set to Medium. Based on my limited knowledge, I would say that items 1. and 2. should be allowed (checked?), but items 3. and 4. I would have to say no to.
    A final thought: all entries that you've created in Firewall > Zones should be set to Trusted. By all entries, I mean specifically:
    network
    loopback adapter
    DNS server(s)
    DHCP server
    any LAN addresses (to allow file or printer sharing)

Message Edited by HammerNU on 07-19-2008 11:06 AM

Message Edited by HammerNU on 07-19-2008 01:50 PM

tch Guest

Thank you, HammerNu.
    1)
    Ok, allowing items #1, 2 makes sense;
    2)
    Items #3, 4 are asking to "Block" rather than "Allow" (as in #1,2), so the question is different.
    I thought
    blocking Internet zone servers would
    make some sense?
    But is blocking Trusted zone servers desirable at all because this would also affect traffic in the Trusted zone of the Firewall, right?
    3)
    Should the adapter subnet be also placed in the Trusted zone?
    4)
    Where should the IP range be placed, Internet or Trusted zones? What should the range be? Should it cover only the IP addresses of the PCs in the network, or something else?
    Could experienced users of Zonealarm (free) kindly provide answers to items #1-4 listed in my original posting, please?

Thank you.

hammernu Guest

The only one I can answer is:

4)
    Where should the IP range be placed, Internet or Trusted zones? What should the range be? Should it cover only the IP addresses of the PCs in the network, or something else?
    When you're behind a router, all of the devices and computers on the LAN are assigned addresses in the router's DHCP range and are Trusted. These addresses cannot be seen outside the LAN (certainly not by anyone on the Internet), so they can be Trusted. You can make the range as small or as large as you want, as long as it's within the router's assignment range. My Linksys WRT54GL router assigns addresses incrementally
    in the range 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.254. I added a Trusted
    IP Range in my ZA Firewall Zones of 192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.110. I made the high end 110 simply because I have less LAN devices than this (two computers, 3 wireless Internet security cameras, and a Range Expander), but I could have made it any number up to 254 and it wouldn't have compromised my security in any way.

tch Guest

Thank you, .
    I've tried out all your suggestions, and I think I'm near to setting up the network. There's one problem though:
    The desktop and laptop can see each now. The laptop can now access the shared folders of the desktop. But the desktop cannot do the same. When I clicked on shared folders of the laptop displayed on the desktop, there's the error message: "...(folder name)...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Access denied"
    Is there any solution to this, please?

hammernu Guest

I had the same problem more than one year ago. One system could access the other system's files but not vice versa. Here is a fix that I found:

Error when mounting remote file systemMessage: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

1) Regedit

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

3) Create DWord IRPStackSize, base Decimal

4) set value to 15

5) reboot; if problem remains, increase value by 3 and try again

Unfortunately, the fix didn't work for me. I ended up reinstalling XP. I hope it works for you.

tch Guest

wow,,,that's making changes in the registry?
    Is there a risk of
    messing up the registry? Is that why you had to reinstall Windows? Why the need to do this and does this resolved the issue?
    Just wondering if others have similar experiences and how they resolved the issue. I would have thought that this could be a common problem...

hammernu Guest

No, making registry changes didn't cause the problem. When I set the value to 15 and rebooted, my system either hung or blue-screened until I deleted the key. Then I was back where I started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information