Thread: Spyware Configuration Question

morey Guest

Default Spyware Configuration Question

I do a nightly spyware scan every day.
    The same spyware modules are detected and removed every day for the most part.
    Is there some way to configure ZASS to prevent these spyware modules from infecting me so they do not show up in the daily scan?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Spyware Configuration Question

What are these detections? KInd of hard to understand with vague references.
    There is the option in the spyware scanner to not automatically treat and after the detection are palced in the quarantine, then just set these files to exempt and these specific files will no longer be detected.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

morey Guest

These are spyware programs and they are correctly detected in my nightly scan giving me the option to delete them or quarantine them.
    I then procede to delete them.
    However, I would like to find out how to configure Zone Alarm to block them when encountered in the daytime so they will not be present at all for the nightly scan.
    Can I insert their names somewhere into Zone Alarm so they are blocked on contact every time they are encountered?

The scanner is not that configurable - just let it sweep with no automatic treatment or user intervention and then exempt the files manually from future sweeps. I do not use the spyware scanners or even any kind of spyware scanner for that matter, so I am replying from memory.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

morey Guest

I don't want to exempt the spyware.
    I want to have it blocked as soon as it appears.
    Thus, the scanner will not detect them since ZASS would have removed them on first contact.
    Is there any way to configure this?

I did ask in the first reply as to what these files are and did not get an answer.
    Which is this spyware or what are these files?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

morey Guest

Some of the spyware programs detected in the nightly scan are: SpecificClick, Questionmarket, Doubleclick and Caselemedia.
    Others similar to these occur daily as well.
    They are all classified as low threats by ZASS.
    My question is, can ZASS be configured to block them before I do the nightly scan whenever they are encountered?

I suspected these be listed and others as well.
    These are not spyware as declared by every marketable antispyware scanner of the internet world.
    The are cookies which are just plain .txt files. Not a spyware infection at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_cookies

The Privacy of the ZA can be easily configured to block and then never allow these cookies - read the ZA Help file (open the ZA and press the F1 key) for further advise/help - by simply blocking third party cookies.
    Or block third party cookies in the Tools of the browser itself.

Either use the ZA cache cleaner or use the browser's cookie/cache cleaner or a third party cleaner before scanning and the detections of cookies will be non existant. Some browsers have the option to delete files and cookies upon closing - thus the demand or scheduled scans never see the cookies.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

morey Guest

Oldsod,

Thanks for the explanation.
    Since they are only cookies and not spyware, I'll leave things as they are.
    I notice that within Zone Alarm under the Privacy Section I can block all cookies.
    However, then I cannot enter certain web sites at all.
    Thus, I have that set for Medium which blocks cookies from tracking sites but allows cookies for personalized services.
    Those cookies getting through must be the latter.
    The scheduled ZASS nightly scan removes them once per day.

I had used Spyware Doctor for 6 months and that product does remove those cookies after entrance to sites allowing the entry but creating slowdowns, error messages
    and other problems.
    I like the ZASS balance batter and almost never get slowdowns or error messages.

Actually, several sites where I click off to always keep me logged in are not accessible the next day.
    I have to reenter my ID and password there.
    Thus, I have decided to uncheck in ZASS \Advanced Options\Spyware Management\Detection the Detection Options\Scan for Tracking Cookies.
    Those cookies being deleted in the nightly scan may be the ones I needed to be continously logged in at certain sites.
    That action may also eliminate all the cookies previously detected in my nightly scans.

Message Edited by morey on 07-17-2008 08:44 AM

I assume this is the Internet Explorer browser that is being used:

Check the "Override automatic cookie handling" entry, leave it to the default "Accept" for the "Firstparty cookie" entry and check the "Block" for the "Thirdparty cookies" entry and check the "Always allow session cookies" entry. Ok the window.
    Ignore the above image's instruction to Block the First Party cookies!

Now some of these "spyware" type of cookies will never enter the computer as many are third party cookies.

The Privacy of the ZA can be adjusted in the Custom/Advanced for blocking third party cookies. Even though the cookie web sites are not listed, they will be filtered once the third party cookie filtering is enabled. But be forewarned! - any login site or web mail or foum or shopping/banking site will always require third party cookies to be allowed in the Privacy of the ZA or else the sites will not work properly. I never had a problem blocking the third party cookies in the Internet Explorer and with special sites, just with the Privacy of the ZA.

Okay there are some tracking cookies which will still slip past through the filters of the ZA and the Internet Explorer as some are becoming more and more session, temporary and first party cookies. But the majority will be stopped.

You may consider to use something else along with the ZA to block bad cookies and some bad sites.
    A host list does not require any PC resources and does not pose any security application conficts. See http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm for a good list with instructions. Just be sure to first either set the ZA to allow changes to the Host file or allow the ZA alert for changes to the Host file.
    The MVPS site does suggest to set the DNS Client service first to Manual and Off and then immediately reboot and then alter the Host file using either copy/paste manually editing the Host file or using their included .bat file.

The Privacy of the ZA does include a browser cache cleaner which can be scheduled as desired and customized to always retain/keep certain cookies and erase the rest. Scheduling cookie and file cleaning with the ZA cleaner before the spyware scans is a good way to remove these cookies and see what is still needed to be added to the erase list of the ZA cookie cleaner.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-17-2008 08:14 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information