Thread: ZA Security Suite adds random networks and DHCP servers

kdkrone Guest

Default ZA Security Suite adds random networks and DHCP servers

ZAISS 7.0.483.000

Occasionally in the past ZA Pro would announce that there was a network that it had found and despite the fact that I didn't want to add it, the boxes that appeared did not allow one to not add it. When I tried to delete New Network from the Firewall, Zones section, I receive the message that I cannot delete an active network. So I was left with a network in the internet zone and I had no idea where it was or to whom it belonged.

Lately (since the debacle with the last upgrade and the Microsoft issue) I have had one more network added to the list as well as a few random DHCP servers. The latter were easily deleted. I presently have my own network in trusted zone, a loop back adapter in the trusted zone, and a random network in the internet zone that I cannot delete.

Does anyone know what is happening and how I can prevent it?

Thanks
    KK

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZA Security Suite adds random networks and DHCP servers

What network is it? Can you post the data?
    Are you using a router? Is that what you mean by your LAN?
    Are you using dial-up connection?
    Is it some wireless hot-spot?
    What sort of DHCP servers were included? What IPs?

You're correct, ZA can't delete an active network. And 'active' means you're on it.

I think if you post a bit more details, someone here will be able to guide you.

kdkrone Guest

<blockquote><hr>zasuiteuser wrote:
    What network is it? Can you post the data?
    Are you using a router? Is that what you mean by your LAN?
    Are you using dial-up connection?
    Is it some wireless hot-spot?
    What sort of DHCP servers were included? What IPs?

You're correct, ZA can't delete an active network. And 'active' means you're on it.

I think if you post a bit more details, someone here will be able to guide you.
    <hr></blockquote>

I live in a residential neighborhood with a few other secured networks. My home network is 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0. I use a router, which is my DHCP server. There is no commercial hotspot within 1 1/2 miles. The network that was added was 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 and there was no opportunity to refuse to add it. It is not listed when I do a command ipconfig /all. Despite the fact that it says it is active, my active network is 192.168.0.100, not 0.0.

Thanks
    KK

zaswing Guest

Thanks for answering.
    What I see is this:
    1. You have a router. So ZA sees the network 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0.
    2. Your computer got an IP address from the router which gave it the default 192.168.0.100.
    NOTHING bad in this. That's exactly how it works. So please don't worry.

Do put the router's IP address in the trusted zone. It probably is 192.168.0.1. It will come handy to access it's web interface, and you need it to tell ZA that that's your DHCP, and likely, DNS server.

Hmmm, when you say &quot;My home network is 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0&quot; - are you sure?

When you do ipconfig /all the returned data is your IP address (192.168.0.100) and on another line is the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on a aseparate line. Is it not? If not, if it's really strung together, then I have no clue.

kdkrone Guest

Glad that I do not have to worry. But please explain something about the network. When I had installed my latest router a year ago, I changed its default IP address (I don't remember what it was) to 192.168.0.100. I have permanent, user-assigned addresses between 192.168.0.101 and .120, and assignable DHCP IP addresses between .121 and .130. So if my router is 192.168.0.100 and all of my addresses are not assigned by a router that has a 192.168.0.0 address, but, rather, 192.168.0.100, how is it that ZA sees my network as 192.168.0.0 when, as I understand it, my network is 192.168.0.100. My laptop, for example, is assigned 192.168.0.122 as I write this.

You had written:

&quot;1. You have a router. So ZA sees the network 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0.
    2. Your computer got an IP address from the router which gave it the default 192.168.0.100.&quot;

So, I would appreciate if you can explain why 1, ZA sees my network as 192.168.0.0 (to correct one of your assumptions it is not my computer that is .100; that is the router itself.

Thanks,
    KK

(BTW, you are correct. My Default Gateway/DHCP Server/DNS server are all 192.168.0.100, which is what I set the address to be in the firmware. The Subnet mask is 255.255.255. The 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0 was a casual shorthand. Sorry)

zaswing Guest

The network mask 255.255.255.0 tells ZA this is the broadcast range of the LAN.
    Device IPs can be anywhere from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254. Zero is reserved, 255 is reserved for broadcast over the LAN devices.
    So you picked .100 for the router (sorry I missed that one - you did not say this is the router's IP), but it's still within the full range of IPs the router can give out on the LAN, unless the mask is changed (a difficult process).
    That's my understanding.
    Perhaps this can do it better
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

Thread Information