Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

  1. #1
    jmagza Guest

    Default ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

    I have installed, uninstalled, re-installed, Zone Alarm Pro, the latest version, to my new Vista machine and it does not work.

    What I mean is that it destroys my internet connection. Everything works for a few minutes, but then IE7, FF3, mail, anything related to the internet, hangs and cannot be shutdown without hard booting the machine.

    After I uninstalled ZoneAlarm everything has worked beautifully.

    I have searched the internet and various forums, including this one, for a fix, but the only thing I see from Zone Alarm is that "ZoneAlarm works great with Vista!"

    Yeah, that's not been my experience in the least.

    Anyone have any suggestions? I just bought the program so would hate for it to go to waste. BTW, I have used ZA for years on XP and never had a problem. It wasn't until I bought my new desktop with Vista32 that I started experiencing problems with ZA.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,473

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jmagza wrote:
    I have installed, uninstalled, re-installed, Zone Alarm Pro, the latest version, to my new Vista machine and it does not work.

    What I mean is that it destroys my internet connection. Everything works for a few minutes, but then IE7, FF3, mail, anything related to the internet, hangs and cannot be shutdown without hard booting the machine.

    After I uninstalled ZoneAlarm everything has worked beautifully.

    I have searched the internet and various forums, including this one, for a fix, but the only thing I see from Zone Alarm is that "ZoneAlarm works great with Vista!"

    Yeah, that's not been my experience in the least.

    Anyone have any suggestions? I just bought the program so would hate for it to go to waste. BTW, I have used ZA for years on XP and never had a problem. It wasn't until I bought my new desktop with Vista32 that I started experiencing problems with ZA.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1.) I have ZAPro for Vista 7.0.254.000 running fine for the last 6 months on my Vista Home Premium computer with no problem..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000

    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4295 &lt;== New Update
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    --------------------------------------------------------------------2.) This is just my 2 cents worth,***&gt; Important Notice:2.) Please note that ZAFree, ZAP andZASSfor Vistadoes not always play nice with many security tools. For example, ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active.
    and Most new Computers usually come with McAfee or Norton Pre-installed.. and must be Un-installed before Installing ZAP for Vista.. See Below for Instructions..If your having problem installing ZA Anti-Virus or ZA Security Suite or ZAP and have ever uninstalleda previous installation of Norton Systemworks or Norton AntiVirus, or Norton Security Suite 2008/2009when you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program, they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to McAfee Removal Tool..http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...64&amp;lc=1033<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]

    NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.******** Important Notice ******** Ifyou have already installedAny Version of ZoneAlarm, there are several things you need to do, after you have removed all traces of Norton and Symantec with the (Norton Removal Tool) , before you install your New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite 7.0.483.000 or ZoneAlarm7.1.254.000 for Vista************************************************** ************1.) I recommend downloading a FREETrash cleaner called ccleaner.exe from www.ccleaner.com and install it and run it with the default setting
    to clean out all junk from your Cashe, Temp Files and Recycle bin, even a good Registry cleaner.. Here is an alternate Site for a Slim version of ccleaner without the Yahoo Tool-bar.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...bar_d4191.html******** Important Notice ******** 2.) Now go into ZA Menu by double clicking on the ZA Tray icon and click on Overview, click on Preferences
    and Uncheck "Load ZA**** on Startup", then Reboot your computer.. this will remove TrueVector,vsmon.exe and other ZA drivers from memory, so that they will not conflict with the install of the New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite, and also the major reason for TrueVector Errors on new installs..The other major cause of Install failure and True Vector errors is Conflict with 3rd party Security programs running during ZA install, like Webroot Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, Bit Defender Conflicts because it has many of the features of ZASS..Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA..3.) As a General Rule to avoid Conflict you should Only run one Firewall and one Anti-Virus on the same computer..
    You can run Multiple Anti-Spyware programs, as long as the Anti-Spyware does not include some firewall or Anti-Virus Function to Conflict with ZA..as far as the WindowsXP firewall, ZA by default on install will turn OFF the Windows one way Firewall..Don't worry if Windows Security Center pops up a warning that it does not recognize ZA Firewall..
    There is a fix for that Cosmetic flaw in windows..4.)
    Click on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tab
    That will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for.. (the Program that your having a problem with)
    in the "Trusted Level"
    Column of ( Your Program ) LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that Column
    The next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" access
    Change all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with (Your Program)Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft wand Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..
    b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) Also Grant this Trusted Server Rights
    c.) IE Crash Detection
    d.) Internet Explorer or FireFox
    e.) Malicious Software Removal Tool
    f.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)
    g.) Zone Alarm Client
    h.) Zone Alarm Updating Client
    i.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    jmagza Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

    Awesome response!
    Perhaps that was posted elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it.
    Regardless, thanks much for that!!!!!
    --------------------My System--------------------Vista SP1 32-bitZA Pro, whatever the lastest download is off the ZA websiteNOD32 Antivirus v3Spybot S&amp;D v1.6--------------------
    The computer came from HP with Norton installed.
    The first thing I did was uninstall it, but after reading your message I see that I have some more work to do here.
    I'll take those steps and see what comes of it.
    I really appreciate the help.
    In one message you answered more than I could find anywhere else.
    Again, much appreciated.
    I'll report back to let you know how it all works out.

    Message Edited by jmagza on 07-30-2008 02:53 PM

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,473

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jmagza wrote:
    Awesome response! Perhaps that was posted elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it. Regardless, thanks much for that!!!!!--------------------My System--------------------Vista SP1 32-bitZA Pro, whatever the lastest download is off the ZA websiteNOD32 Antivirus v3Spybot S&amp;D v1.6--------------------The computer came from HP with Norton installed. The first thing I did was uninstall it, but after reading your message I see that I have some more work to do here. I'll take those steps and see what comes of it.I really appreciate the help. In one message you answered more than I could find anywhere else.Again, much appreciated.I'll report back to let you know how it all works out.

    Message Edited by jmagza on 07-30-2008 02:53 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your welcome..Thank you for your FeedbackPlease post back with your progress report..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:


    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.010.000 32-bit (BETA)
    TrueVector version:8.0.010.000
    Driver version:8.0.010.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956194926
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4295
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4295 &lt;== New Update
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  5. #5
    jmagza Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

    Hey George, I tried everything in your post and to no avail.

    Everything seemed to work great for a few minutes. I got excited. I had FF3 open, then opened Windows Live Mail, and everything locked up. Had to restart because the FF3 process would not shutdown, IE7 wouldn't connect to the internet, etc.

    Something must be conflicted with ZA, but I have no idea what. I don't have time to play technician right now, so I'll have to revisit it another time. For now, it's Vista Firewall, which doesn't cause any problems.

    Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,473

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jmagza wrote:
    Hey George, I tried everything in your post and to no avail.

    Everything seemed to work great for a few minutes. I got excited. I had FF3 open, then opened Windows Live Mail, and everything locked up. Had to restart because the FF3 process would not shutdown, IE7 wouldn't connect to the internet, etc.

    Something must be conflicted with ZA, but I have no idea what. I don't have time to play technician right now, so I'll have to revisit it another time. For now, it's Vista Firewall, which doesn't cause any problems.

    Thanks for your help.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Something in the Last Microsoft Update Broke something in MS Live Mail..MS Live Messenger 8.5 works OK, but not the Live Mail Function..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  7. #7
    jmagza Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

    Interesting. I didn't realize that. I'll have to take a look into it. How you keep up with all of this, I have no idea, but I am glad you do. :-)

  8. #8
    jmagza Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Does Not Work on Vista 32bit

    Ok, so I found this thread.

    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=51080

    I did everything here and still no fix. I uninstalled WLM. Haven't reinstalled it. Reset ZA. What happens is I open FF3 (my preferred browser), I surf for maybe 5 minutes and then it locks up. No page will open. FF3 hangs. I have to reboot to get it working again.

    Ugh! Frustrating. I said I wasn't going to work on it, but I can't let it go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •