Hi all,

Hope I'm not abusing board etiquette - if so, I apologize - by posting the same issue to two boards. But here it is . . .

The other post is on the Access board (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=35164).

I've got a WinXP Pro box with two NICs, one connected to a cable modem, the other to a passive hub. I've got a Win98 box with one NIC connected to the hub. By running ICS on the XP box, I have provided internet access to the Win98 box. Both PCs have static IPs for the local net; the XP box gets its Internet IP from my ISPs DHCP server.

Since yesterday, I've been through all the posts on this board (back to July 9), and finally decided to bite the proverbial bullet and follow some of the advice about resetting and reinstalling ZA.

So, I've done a clean uninstall. Rebooted, deleted the Internet Logs folder, cleaned out all temp files, emptied the Recycle Bin, cleaned the Registry and rebooted again. I even downloaded a new copy of ZA Free which I then installed.

I have tested access from the Win98 client after each step of adding/changing anything in the Zones list. When ZA configured itself, it put the local NIC in the Internet Zone (along with the cable modem NIC) and automatically added the ISP's two DNS servers and DHCP server to the Trusted Zone.

I have allowed outgoing DNS/DHCP in both Zones.

I added entries for the loopback adapter and the client (Win98) PC. No joy on High; works fine on Medium.

I changed the local NIC to Trusted Zone. Same result.

I added the ISPs gateway address to the Trusted Zone. Same result.

I put both of those back into the Internet Zone. Same result.

I have rebooted both machines about 800 times. The local net works fine; the Internet is only accessible from the client on Medium.

I'm 'bout out of ideas . . .

This network has been running happily for more than 4 years, through zillions of updates, changes in anti-virus, installation and uninstallation of tons of software, and has never been nailed by a virus or bot. The only things new since last it worked are the MS update and the new ZA.

Clues will be most welcome . . .

Thanks,

tommyj

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Software Version:7.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)