Thread: Zone Alarm With Cisco VPN Client Not Working - Freezes

Hybrid View

ericgoldy Guest

Default Zone Alarm With Cisco VPN Client Not Working - Freezes

When I've had Zone Alarm installed and tried to run the Cisco VPN client I need to access my work e-mail, the client goes through the standard stuff and then gets to a point where it says "security security channel" and then it just hangs there, searching searching searching. If I try and "cancel connect", it won't let me. I literally need to go into the Task Manager to force a shut down of the VPN client or I can't get anywhere.

I've been a long time ZA user, but I need the VPN to work and I can't seem to figure out what it won't.

I have tried completely uninstalling ZA and then reinstalling it. I don't want to uninstall the VPN client as that was done by our IS team -- but I read an OLD post talking about a similar problem - but that doesn't seem to make sense.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,

E

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm With Cisco VPN Client Not Working - Freezes

In ZA is a tab with "Allow VPN" - it is on the Firewall panel, click Advanced button, and place a chek there.

Have you done the proper sequence of installing? ZA has to be installed first, then Cisco VPN. It will not work otherwise. There is an official set of instructions for that, unfortunately the link I have doesn't work any more, so you have to believe what I say

That does mean you have to uninstall VPN, install ZA, then reinstall VPN. That's due to the drivers that both use and must be in synch with one another.

After it works, you will need to permit the VPN connections into the trusted zone, and whatever applications you use, such as Remote Desktop, may need temporary server rights.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 08-14-2008 10:17 PM

zaswing Guest

ericgoldy,
    if you're still listening, here's the official link where Cisco VPN is mentioned
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html
    It applied to Nortel Networks as well.

ericgoldy Guest

Thanks for the info.. I haven't had a chance to try it because I need to make sure that I have all the proper VPN settings (certificates / profiles / etc.) when I "reinstall" the software. I have an e-mail into our IS folks.

I appreciate your response and we'll see if that fixes it..

Thanks,

Eric

Thread Information